1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports On Earth goes live

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Two things I'm confident Charlie would not be interested in doing:

1. Being the boss

2. Working for Major League Baseball in any capacity.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I kinda like it. Doesn't seem too pretentious.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'm not necessarily talking about SOE, but something like SOE, where someone with cash and no league ties funds him and lets him loose. But yeah, I bet he wouldn't want to do all the stuff Simmons does.

4. This site is a lot more modern than any of you are giving it credit for. If you have a tablet and a smartphone, look at this site on those platforms as well as on your computer and gaze upon the future of how content will be consumed. This is an impressive achievement in responsive design, regardless of what you think about its content.

5. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

Gave the Posnanski piece an honest read.
    I know he has been embattled of late - but that was some soy-based slurry.
    Hope the site will aim higher than this.

6. Brian Cook

Brian Cook Member

Agree. It's very clean, Grantland-y, very different from the all links plus rotating headline thing you get at SI/ESPN/everywhere. It communicates a different thing than those sorts of sites. When I redo my site I'll be aiming for something in the neighborhood.

I'm not sure it'll work as well since Grantland has a head start on the guys you want to lock down there, but I'm in favor of anything that gives something other than press conference revamping center stage.

7. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I thought this Culpepper piece on the lack of volleying at the US Open was cute. Could not agree more.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/37476706/

8. silent_h

silent_h Member

I also enjoyed Chuck's piece -- he's pretty much incapable of writing a non-enjoyable piece -- and share the same sentiment about the lost art of serve-and-volley tennis.

I mean, I understand all of the reasons no one comes to net. I think everyone that loves tennis gets them. I just don't like it much.

9. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Would like to hear other peoples' thoughts after SoE has been up a few months, but here's what I think.

1) It seems they're a little slow getting stories up. It'll be midday Sunday, NFL territory, before all of their college football stuff is up. I'm not sure what the deadlines are, but I don't know how many people want to read a piece -- even a well-written piece -- hours after everyone else has something up.

2) They do quite a few lists or subsection articles rather than narrative.

3) There doesn't seem to be much consistency. Last Saturday, all they covered was Notre Dame's game against USC. Sure, it had a lot of national attention, but there were a lot of other college games out there: Florida/Florida State, Clemson/South Carolina, etc.

10. Someone expected a Gannett idea to work?

11. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

I seek out Leitch and Hruby with regularity, but aside from that, I don't give the site a lot of clicks.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Well, that didn't last long -- for Posnanski:

http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php/2013/01/29/joe-posnanski-is-leaving-sports-on-earth-for-nbc-sports/

Draft saved Draft deleted