1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports On Earth goes live

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

There are a couple of writers whose work I seek out, as I said here before.

But for the most part, it has been more miss than hit, thus far.

http://www.adweek.com/news/technology/sports-earth-struggles-while-yahoos-post-game-thrives-146915

2. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Search Patrick Hruby. Pretty easy.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Hruby's good, and Tanier is better than his Grantland counterpart on the NFL. I just think they need more interesting content. Other than Hruby, it's a lot of dull stuff you'd find at any number of papers.

4. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Leitch now full-time at SOE.

http://leitch.tumblr.com/post/46267419264/news-i-am-pleased-to-announce-that-next-month-i

He and Hruby, as I said before, at the main reasons I still check the site. Major points to both for being among the few younger big-name journos (longformers, columnists, etc.) who actually show their teeth in their mug shot smiles. Most just do this little "I am cool" smirk.

Anyway, going daily could drain Leitch's ideas well, but when he hits I really enjoy his stuff.

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Yeah, I always judge a columnist by how wide they smile...

Leitch as a daily columnist is taking thin material and making it transparent. And a podcast? He talks a million miles a minute and always sounds like someone is holding a relative hostage in the next room. At least he won't have to feign interest in New York teams anymore, which made his New York magazine pieces particularly irksome. If he's covering NL baseball, which I imagine he will be, then I imagine he'll write some enjoyable pieces. That's his wheelhouse. But for me his wheelhouse is very limited.

Hruby, however, is terrific. He's one of the few writers who can bounce back and forth seamlessly between deep pieces and humor.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I would have expected the NFL to be a sweet spot for Grantland, but I agree with what you typed.

7. I guess the takedown of Darren Rovell impressed Dave Morgan.

Draft saved Draft deleted