1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Night

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cosmo, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yes, I'm 14 years too late to the party on this one ... but this was always one of those shows I can't believe I didn't watch when it was on the air. Through the beauty of Netflix instant, I was able to watch all 45 episodes in the last month or so. Pretty tremendous show and an obvious seed for everything Sorkin did afterward.

Interesting that the Onion's AV Club has chosen to start a retrospective recap review of the show, starting with the first four episodes:

Episodes 1-2: http://www.avclub.com/articles/pilotthe-apology,75770/

Episodes 3-4: http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-hungry-and-the-huntedintellectual-property,75786/

Seems as if they'll be doing two episodes a week.

I wonder how much longer the show could have lasted had it moved to a HBO or another network after ABC canceled it and Sorkin chose to begin work on the West Wing. There was potential for probably another season or two, I think, before it totally jumped the shark. If anyone remembers, were the writers aware the show was going to be canceled before writing the final episode? I would think not since there were so many storylines that ended up not getting tied up.

Anyway, great show. Love the fact that every highlight on the monitor in the background is from the same Miami of Ohio basketball game.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Great show. Great cast. I miss it, but I have the boxed set.

3. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Also available on Netflix for those who want to check it out.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I have the box set as well. There are those who will say it wasn't as great as I remember it ... but it is. I've seen it again and again. It's still great.

I'll have to check out the AV Club links.

5. SellOut

SellOut Member

Anybody who can't make money off SportsNight should get out of the money-making business.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Good show, people. Good show.

I did the same thing Cosmo. Bombed through it in a couple of weeks and loved every minute of it.

7. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Bought the DVD boxset the second it came out practically. Love that show. Wish it would have lasted longer. Great writing! Great dialogue. Great flow.

8. John

John Well-Known Member

I liked the show initially but grew to like the characters less and less. Except Natalie, who was tremendously cute.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Natalie got sort of over the top annoying by the end of season 2, but she's so damn cute I didn't really care.

10. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Favorite line of the show was from Robert Gillaume when he was told he was about to sued by the two guys who wrote Happy Birthday.

"It took two people to write that song?"

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Two girls. Mildred and Patty Hill. :)

I just finished that ep and Mary Pat Shelby. On to episode 6 now.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I didn't realize that Robert Guillame actually had a stroke and they wrote it into the show. It was really well done, and I got pretty choked up when Dana said, "Please, just let one good thing happen today," and he walked into the room.

Draft saved Draft deleted