1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports news you don't really follow

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 16, 2012.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

That's something else I forgot.

ESPN's hyping of the NFL draft months out.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Heisman watches. Yes, I care who gets the hardware, but can do without the months of speculation.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The theme in this thread is fairly obvious: Sports journalists don't like predictions.

Here's my theory: We don't like the predictions because we've seen how they're made. We know that guys at Rivals aren't watching hours and hours of film of every prospect and carefully deciding who to move up and down on the rankings every week. We know that sources are misleading about free agency and drafts because they don't want to tip their hands. We know awards voting is so often swayed by late-season results that midseason projections are worthless. We know breaking down a bracket will have nothing to do with what actually happens.

Sports journalists want hard, real results.

I'm in that camp. I've always felt it's important to separate what you like and what you do in journalism, though. The topics most often brought up in this thread are among the most popular we do with readers, if clicks are any indication. But man, sometimes I can't stand doing that kind of stuff. It's one reason I prefer to be the editor. Chasing around draft gurus to do stories on how the State U star linebacker's draft stock has been affected by the scouting combine is not my cup of tea.

4. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

--MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL... couldn't possibly care any less.
    --Aw, heck, let's expand that to ANY level of baseball or hockey. Yawn.
    --Complaints about women's sports. I get it -- you would rather stare longingly at guys in tight pants and short shorts.
    --Anything "synchronized"
    --Labor negotiations. You already make enough to buy my family, screw you and your riches. I hope you get cut and/or go out of business.

Now get out of my yard, damn kids.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The first paragraph of the first post contained a reasonable request. Pity it's being ignored.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

"Who's Now." The dumbest thing in sports I've ever heard.

The "We work hard" cliche. No shit. Everyone works hard, except for Derek Coleman. You're not special.

College recruiting (like everyone else says). I've never seen these kids play, how the fuck would I know if they're any good, so why get excited for them?

Super Bowl hype: Hours upon hours of analysis for a 3+ hour game. I don't care what a team has to do to win. I just want to see the damn game.

Boxing titles: Too many of them to mean a damn thing.

Tire discussions in NASCAR: I don't care what brand they use, I don't care if they work on this track or that track. Just drive the fucking race.

Boxing press conferences and stare-downs: Every single one of them turns into a fight. Stop manufacturing this shit, you're looking like idiots. I'm not plopping down $50 because you guys started shoving each other at the weigh-in.

Oh, and the Davis Cup. Event drags out all year. I can't remember who beat who, or care.

Draft saved Draft deleted