1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports news you don't really follow

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 16, 2012.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

NFL combine/pre-draft camps. What could you possibly learn about someone that you didn't see in him during a game or on film?

ANYTHING Yankees v. Red Sox.

Nationally-televised high school games, any sport. Just don't see the purpose in it except to try and sell more sneakers/apparel/hygeine products under the guise of seeing the "stars of tomorrow."

Regular season college football not on Saturdays.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Oh, you must not like baseball. [/espn]

3. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Fuck the Olympics, especially since it's an Olympic year. Fuck the whole world getting together and swimming against each other to see who's better. And fuck Michael Phelps.

Fuck the NBA. Real basketball games have defense.

Fuck Fantasy Sports. Get off the computer and go watch a real game. And no, for the one millionth time, I don't want to join your stuipdly-named league.

While we're at it, fuck all pick ems or competitions including fantasy. You are not a better person because you masturbate to box scores and picked the spread right and I didn't.

Fuck middle school sports and recruiting 10 year olds. I refuse to cover that shit.

Fuck the Tour de France. Who wants to watch guys in tights on bikes for 30 days?

Fuck competition cheerleading. If all your school has to brag about is competition cheering, I know your football and basketball teams combine for 5 wins each school year.

Fuck all award banquets. Quit patting yourselves on the back.

Fuck NASCAR and the tenth month long cup race.

And while we're at it, fuck MMA. You uncivilized rednecks make me sad to be human as you root for some guy to beat the shit out of another guy. That is not sport.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

The NCAA Tournament

Ø interest.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Spent a long weekend in Orlando recently and my hotel was filled with teen girls in town for a big cheerfest. One-fourth of them were in wheelchairs or on crutches. I told my 6-year-old daughter 'don't even think about doing this.'

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm convinced it's an act. She chimes in way too much on baseball threads and such to "hate sports."

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Obviously don't watch the NBA then, huh?

This statement is the quickest way to smoke out somebody who doesn't watch the NBA at all, but still feels compelled to opine on it.

8. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I have watched a bit of NBA before. Last game I saw? Probably not during the Obama administration.

I and others that say that know that there really is defense, and that the average athlete in the NBA is 10x the athlete in college basketball. For me, though, too many players jog seem back on defense and stand in the lane and stare as a guy drives by and drunks over him, and then jog back nonchalantly to play offense.

I just enjoy the quality of college basketball better. There must be something to it, because I know many basketball people like myself.

As far as the news on NBA, I hate ESPIN's forceful promotion and trying to make a midseason game between a first- and fourth- place team seem like the championship game.

9. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

* NCAA violation stories. Unless a team is getting the death penalty, I don't care. They're all breaking the rules. The worst is when a story makes a big deal about a team "vacating" a title or Final Four appearance. Don't anybody come and try to tell me that Southern Cal didn't win the football championship in 2004 or that Memphis wasn't in the Final Four in 2008.
    * Stories about performance-enhancing drugs, especially in baseball or cycling.
    * Stories about league labor disputes. Just let me know when they're playing again.

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

-- Spring training or preseason story lines in any sport, unless something major (someone getting injured and will miss an extended amount time, etc.).

-- Free agency/trade deadlines. I don't really care where Joe Blow is going to spend the next XX years of his career. Just shut up and play.

-- Women's basketball.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Women's sports.

Recruiting.

Women's sports.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Complaining about recruiting coverage has become a cliche almost as annoying as recruiting itself.

As for me, I could give a hang about someone's "draft stock" during college football season. Mel Kiper should be released to the public with the same frequency of Punxsatawney Phil, and no more.

Draft saved Draft deleted