1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports news you don't really follow

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

-- NFL Draft coverage has long been off my radar. Tell me all about 'em when they're drafted. For example, I have absolutely zero interest in someone's 40 time if their football IQ is 40.
    -- I agree that preseason coverage is extremely boring, even in sports I love, like baseball. Unless someone gets injured, I couldn't care less.
    -- Recruiting. I'll just echo what's already been said about it. The only thing I'd add is that it creates false expectations for recruits who get labeled a "bust" just because some dipshit at Rivals labeled them a 3-star recruit when they were a sophomore in high school.

Basically, what it boils down to me for me is this ... the less it has to directly do with the games/contests on the field/floor, the less interest I have in it.

For example, I don't understand fans -- and they're out there -- who are more interested in the NFL Draft than actual NFL games. Assbackwards.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I avoid threads about Tim Tebow, politics and/or social issues.

3. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

And with that, Versatile was never heard from again on SportsJournalists.com.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

We'll always have Sheep.

5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Will he retire or will he play again? Favre and Clemens coverage was the worst.

And I'll echo others with Olympic sports in non-Olympic years.

6. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I'm always amazed how irate my readers get if I don't have room for Cactus and Grapefruit League standings and round-ups. I run them, but I've never sat down personally and read spring training round-ups.

Ryder Cup pick speculation. Holy shit. I love the event, but is anyone besides his mother upset or thrilled if Bubba Watson is on or off the team?

7. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Fantasy Sports news. I hate it. I don't care if picking up Joe Stickyhands as a fourth receiver might be a risk worth taking this week. I really don't. I used to be able to ignore this crap easily enough, but it is becoming more and more prevalent. I do have a couple of fantasy teams, but I do my own homework to varying degrees of success. If you're paying attention to the league anyways you don't need someone to hold your hands. They're just regurgitating what is obvious anyways. What? you mean I should think about taking Drew Breese with the first pick??? Figure. It. Out. Yourself.

8. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Anything reported by ESPN.

Seriously, since I've moved to this new town which has good cable TV, I find myself not watching SportsCenter at all. But at 1 a.m., I'm watching Sky Sports News on Fox Soccer. So right now, I know more about the Glasgow Rangers bankruptcy case than I do about where Matt Flynn might be going. I've also been watching the local sports segment on the market's CBS station more.

And I think I can agree with those who don't follow fantasy sports news. I've won a fantasy football league without any help from guides or TV programs. I made one trade all season and outsmarted the others in free agency.

9. Quakes

Quakes Guest

Here's another vote for fantasy news.

Also:

"Guarantees" of victory -- which are often innocuous, reasonable statements like, "I think we're going to win," that get pumped up and distorted into guarantees -- and the corresponding claims of disrespect from the other side.

Joe Lunardi's latest projection of the last four teams in and the first four teams out. (Why was this constantly being shown on ESPN's ticker? I thought that space was for news. How is one guy's prediction of something news? Why don't we see Chris Berman's preseason Super Bowl pick on there? Lunardi's projections may be interesting, but they mean as much as yours or mine.)

Any point-counterpoint discussion between dueling talking heads. (John Clayton and Sean Salisbury, any of those shows on ESPN during the day, etc.)

Who's dating/boinking whom.

Anything at the Little League -- i.e., before high school -- age level.

The Heisman Trophy.

All-Star games.

10. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

High school All-star games. I don't care about the McDonald's all-star game or any of those things. I barely care about the ones they hold in this area, especially those organized to show off the skills of "area" kids. Such as the all-star basketball games that will be hosted by an area radio station the first weekend of April. Most of those kids will already be well into their spring sports and they take the 3-point and dunk contest more seriously than the games. And on many occasions, one or more of the announced players simply doesn't show up and they have to do some last-shuffling of the roster so that the teams have the same number of players.

The juco here about 10 years ago got hyper-ridiculous with the games. FOUR in one day. A girls' southeast Kansas game, then a boys SEK game. Then a girls Kansas-vs.-Missouri game followed by a boys Kansas-vs-Missouri game. I was young then and allowed myself to be stuck in a hot gym for almost 10 hours that day.

If it isn't organized by the state coaches association for that sport or isn't the Kansas Shrine Bowl, it's often a joke (and the Kansas Shrine Bowl is played the last Saturday of July and has just as many players who aren't going to play college football as ones who are).

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Mock drafts, or really anything about the NFL or NBA drafts. I know they are vitally important. But I just don't care. I really don't care about the NBA draft, since I make it a point not to waztch a single minute of a single game and half the players drafted are from Europe and I've never heard of them anyway, being a narrow-minded xenophobe.

12. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Postgame press conferences on TV.

I've covered enough of those in person and have no interest in watching them if I'm not working.

Draft saved Draft deleted