1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports/News opening soon in Canon City, CO

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by outdoors, Dec 28, 2007.

1. outdoors

outdoors Member

Not really everyone's dream location, but it isn't too bad out here. My reporter here is leaving in a week and I wanted to get it on here a little early. I am currently the sports editor here for the Canon City Daily Record and the position basically entails 20-sports/20-news. It sometimes shifts to more sports depending on the season, as I know the reporter that is leaving I used to be able to get about 30/10 during the fall and spring sports seasons. The position also involves some news. So that includes neighbors, some layout, features, etc. The paper is owned by Lehman Communications and it is doing OK for this time when it comes to newspapers. Don't expect too much pay for this position or OT. You will get OT on occasion, but it won't happen much. We get reimbursed for mileage and meals. The coverage basically centers around two main high schools (Canon City and Florence) as well as a few smaller schools that we generally just have as call-ins. Currently the circulation is around 8,500 and we publish six-days a week and we are an afternoon paper. This is a good position for someone right out of school or someone that wants to jump from a weekly to a daily. Feel free to PM me for more details, I will help as much as I can. Like I said, this position should be posted sometime on journalismjobs probably in the next week or so, but wanted to get a jump start on it.
  2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

When are you looking to make a final hire?
  3. Chef

Chef Active Member

I hear the prison is nice.
  4. outdoors

outdoors Member

Oh, it is Chef. The ladies are even better. Actually the place isn't bad. Your close to the Springs and about an hour and a half from Denver.
    Probably within the next month. Plan on having somebody in by the start of spring sports. I know they want this to be more of a news-style position, with more sports at certain times.
  5. jakelam2116

jakelam2116 New Member

Is this open for applications yet, or are you waiting until it's posted on jjjobs.com?
  6. outdoors

outdoors Member

No, have to wait on jjjobs.com. All the applications will go through our HR Department.
Draft saved Draft deleted