1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports/News Entry-Level Reporter, Bullard TX

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by KevinmH9, Jun 5, 2008.

1. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Company: Bluebonnet Publishing Co
    Position:
    Entry-level reporter in Texas needed
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $20,000 to $25,000
    Ad Expires:
    July 10, 2008
    Job ID: 933764

Description:
    One of our weekly newspapers needs a reporter who can cover sports as well as community news. We're a busy, fast-growing community adjacent to the top retail market in hilly, wooded East Texas. Camera and Quark skills will give you a leg up on other applicants. If you want a newspaper job in a community where the newspaper matters, send complete resume by email to Bill Woodall, publisher610@hotmail.com

There you have it.

2. Wow. I would have never thought something like this would ever happen from the Bullard newspaper. If I were drinking something, I'm sure it would have all come up.

This is my hometown. It's as small-town as you get newspaper-wise. I was the Sports Editor for the former owners ... in high school.

PM me if you have any questions.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

For a very small weekly, this job pays very, very well. $20 to $25K? Day-um.

You could probably get a second full-time job and cover games at night, and just rake in the jack.

The top retail market is Tyler, BTW. It's about six miles or so south of the loop.

4. redsox99

redsox99 Member

The pay for this gig is rather surprising. Woodall owns the Kilgore daily paper and several weeklies around the Tyler area (Bullard, Troup and maybe Whitehouse). This would be a great start for a youngster. Granted it's a weekly, but you'd probably deal with police reports and city budgets for the non-sports part of the job and that could prove very valuable as you move up the ranks to perhaps college sports, where police reports are definitely part of the beat.

5. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

this, ladies and gentlemen, is a sad, sad statement. $20k-$25k should never be considered as paying "very, very well."

6. dargan

dargan Active Member

I'm shocked at this, too.

No offense, pressbox, but I didn't even know your hometown had a newspaper. This would be like if MY hometown newspaper hired a copy editor.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Emphasis added to my earlier post.

What are you going to really work, 20 hours at most? That is practically stealing money. Take it and run.

8. dargan

dargan Active Member

Whoever takes this will get to see Tatum (moving back up from 2A) and Gilmer in district. In other words, he/she will get to see Bullard get trampled.

Draft saved Draft deleted