1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports/news designer, Myrtle Beach, SC

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Kurt Knapek, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Kurt Knapek

Kurt Knapek New Member

The Sun News (McClatchy Newspapers) has an opening for a designer who isn't afraid to tackle sports and news pages.
    The work schedule isn't set in stone, but it will be either three or four days of sports (fronts two or three times) and news the other day or two. Yes, just five days a week.
    The job will be posted on snd.org and journalism jobs in the next few days. And we're looking to hire ASAP.
    If interested, drop sports editor Shane Bowen an e-mail at sbowen@thesunnews.com with a link to a newspagedesigner web page if you have one. If you don't have one, let him know you're interested and put your materials in the mail:
    Shane Bowen
    Sports Editor
    The Sun News
    914 Frontage Road E.
    Myrtle Beach, SC 29577

I'm working all weekend so send me an e-mail (kknapek@thesunnews.com) and I'll try to any questions as best I can.

Oh, and if it matters, the temperature is supposed to be in the 60s all week!

2. zman82

zman82 Member

is this the same spot that was open a couple months ago an if so, where/why did the former hire take off?

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Not the same one. The paper got another designer opening when the SE was officially promoted. It was never filled.

4. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

What's the quality of trim in the newsroom?

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Not sure. There's some tail down at the Boathouse, which isn't far from the Sun-News office.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

How's the miniature golf?

7. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

i understand there is no shortage of pancake houses there.

8. TenFour

TenFour Member

I don't know about the quality of the, uh, trim or, uh, tail, but the women to men ratio in the newsroom is like 5:1, FWIW. I visited there a few years ago and met two men. And one was in features, not that there's anything wrong with that.

9. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Any word on this gig?

10. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Nothing yet -- although they might have a couple people in mind after a first candidate (who interviewed in person) turned them down in lieu of an offer from a bigger paper.

11. Kurt Knapek

Kurt Knapek New Member

I'm not completely in the loop, but I know the design editor has been, or is about to, starting calling a few potential candidates.
    I'll update as more information becomes available.

12. zman82

zman82 Member

sweet! i'll be sitting by phone waiting.

Draft saved Draft deleted