1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports myths

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Corky Ramirez up on 94th St., Aug 3, 2008.

1. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Which ones do you know of that are widely accepted, but actually false?

Here's mine to start: Howard Cosell never said "Ladies and gentlemen ... the Bronx is burning." In fact, no one that I know of uttered that quote. I was watching Game 2 of the '77 World Series, and when they showed PS 3 on fire in the South Bronx, no where did anyone say that. In fact, it was Keith Jackson who first mentioned that "this is a live picture of a fire" during the second inning.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

A good friend of mine says the 2004 World Series.

3. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

There is no "tie goes to the runner" rule in baseball. The runner either beats the throw or not.

Also, a talk amongst our softball umpire friends included that even if a batter squares to bunt and leaves the bat out there, it can still be a ball. The batter has to make an attempt at the ball to count as a swing.

That applies in baseball as well.

4. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

... that someone says "Let the Games begin" to open the Olympics.

... that the U.S. beat the Soviets to win the gold medal in Lake Placid.

... that the Red Sox would have won the '86 World Series if Buckner had made the play on Wilson.

... that the United States pushed the IOC to let the NBA players into the Olympics after the U.S. lost in '88.

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

That everyone gets a trophy.

Oh, wait...

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

... that Eddie Cicotte was upset at being benched for two weeks by Charles Comiskey and not receiving a bonus for winning 30 games. :D

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

We're not good friends, but yes.

Or the 2001 and 2003 World Series.

Those are all acceptable answers.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

... that Buck Weaver was really that upset when he found out about the scandal. :D

... that the Soviets won the gold medal in men's basketball over the United States in 1972.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

..Scottie Pippen was one of the greatest 50 players in NBA history

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

But he played with Michael Jordan. Everyone - and I mean EVERYONE - was a better player because of Michael Jordan. ::) ::) ::)

11. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Cal Ripken ... Kevin Costner ... lights.
    I don't know, maybe true?

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

That Cole Hamels expected the Inquisition.

Draft saved Draft deleted