1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports memorabilia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm extremely curious to hear how this crew views collecting sports memorabilia.

To wit: I was an enormous baseball card collector as a kid, like a lot of people in my generation - I'm in my mid-30s - were. But when I became a sports writer, particularly a sports writer covering pro stuff as an actual beat, I took the view that collecting that kind of stuff was just fanboi lunacy.

Well, recently, I bought a new house with some basement space to work with, and I've been converting the area into a sports bar. Whereas I once rolled my eyes at memorabilia, now I find myself in hot pursuit of it, scouring eBay each day for deals on old Baseball Digests or stadium giveaways to hang up. I've gotten a lot of compliments so far on what I've accumulated, and I love the atmosphere of hanging out and watching a game among such vintage stuff.

Fanboi? I guess. But it also feels more like a cultural museum, and sports are very much part of the culture. I'm starting to think that collecting items from one team in particular might become a bit of a full-fledged hobby - I'd love to rotate stuff in, or have boxes or files of materials that people can leaf through that aren't actually hanging up. It doesn't hurt that my young son is a big fan of the team(s) already and gets excited.

Anyway, I'm wondering what other people's relationship is with this kind of stuff. Anyone have any outstanding collections? Thoughts on displaying? Thoughts on finding stuff?
  2. I have about 45,000 baseball cards in my storage closet. I went to a flea market last week - something I did as a kid with grandfather, where I would scour the place for baseball cards and comic books - I looked around but the interest was gone.
    I stumbled across a couple of older sets of baseball cards; 1985, '87 and 88 Topps and Donruss sets and some older cards, but I had no interest in them.
    I dunno if it's because the stuff is now virtually worthless or the fact I no longer care about baseball that I no longer have an interest.
  3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I have tons of stuff and none of it is displayed.

There's part of me that worries that if I display it, friends and relatives will think, "Oh, he must really miss sportswriting..." Since that is something I've battled against for the last five years, there's part of me that is intent not to display it.

I have tons of old copies of The National. I have all three regional copies of the first issue and the We Had a Ball final issue, which was given to me as a gift by one of my mentors, who worked there. He got it signed by Deford.

I have all kinds of autographs that I got as a kid. Larry Bird, Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, Magic Johnson, Joe Frazier, Dwight Clark, Willis Reed, George Brett, Elway, Mays, Aaron, Henderson, Feller, Spahn... I got most of them at card shows... I have them all sitting in my desk drawer...

I have a card collection that is insured for over $50K. Some are in a safety deposit box, but I have a lot of good ones here as well... They're not displayed at all... I've given a ton of cards to my boys, but not the expensive ones...
  4. Mizzougrad96

Most cards produced after 1990 are worthless. There are tons of inserts that are worth a lot of money, but nobody wants them.
  5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like me. My monster blue storage bins full of baseball cards are just ridiculous, yet I keep lugging them from house to house. My two daughters won't want them when they're older, my sister refused to take them for her son ... but I just can't quite bring myself to put them on the street. But I swear if we move one more time, they're not going.

As for other memorabilia, I've got some cool things but going through the bins once every couple years and reminiscing is enough. A decade ago my wife said she refused to "junk up the house" by letting me display it all, and I have finally come around to agreeing with her. We have a checkered flag signed by the entire field of an Indy 500 from a few years back and an old menu from Harry Caray's restaurant signed to me by Harry, but those are the only things that are out -- and only because they're in decent frames.
  6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I have a shrine to Secretariat. Used to be in my house. Now in my office. Total value? Not much. Means a lot to me, especially the magazine cover my kids hunted down on eBay
  7. Mizzougrad96

I probably should try to sell some of my autographs. I have a SI cover from 1970 of Bradshaw when he was at La. Tech that he signed. They have similar issues on eBay for $150-$175.
  8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I spent a few years working for a trading card company during the boom years and I have boxes and boxes of unopened product in a loft over my garage. I'm going to find some kid who wants it all and let him/her take it away. Other than that, the only memorabilia I've kept are a few personal items that probably have meaning only for me.
  9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yeah, this is one thing I don't much care about, either. I bought a $2 Baseball Digest today that I think is as cool of a find as a $150 limited edition SGA bobble head.
  11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Have a bunch of signed baseballs. Always ask player to sign to me so they know I don't plan on selling.

Also have a random collection of Championship rings from various sources including down on their luck players.

Favorite piece of memorabilia is a piece of the parquet floor from the Larry Bird era Boston Garden. Complete with green skid marks from Celtic Sneakers.
  12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

You can probably get away with reducing the the insurance, and you'll still be all right.
Draft saved Draft deleted