1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Media Guide

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Sep 18, 2006.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

All:

I'm in great risk of being d_b'ed on this, but somebody sent me a link to sportsmediaguide.com, which has started doing a series of interviews with various sports writers. Helene Elliott is the latest. Gene Wojciechowski, Ray Ratto, etc. Some good stuff. Apologies if it has already been posted.

http://www.sportsmediaguide.com/

Here's who's running it:

About us:

Sportsmediaguide.com is owned and operated by Murray Sorkin and Steve Marantz, graduates of the University of Missouri School of Journalism.

Sorkin is the founder and president of Sorkins Directory of Business and Government in the St. Louis, Kansas City and Chicago metropolitan areas. (www.sorkins.com)

Marantz is a former staff reporter and columnist for the Kansas City Star, Trenton Times, Boston Globe, The Sporting News, and Boston Herald, covering sports, politics and government. He is a consultant to ESPN Original Entertainment.

Steve Marantz can be contacted at MarantzSteve@aol.com. Murray Sorkin can be contacted at murraylsorkin@sorkins.com.

2. deportes

deportes Member

interesting site. hopefully someone will do a q&a with this board's favorite sports editor, bob yates. what would your first question be to yates?

3. InTheSkeller

InTheSkeller Member

"Hmm, what are you wearing?"

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ever thought about working in Ann Arbor?

5. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

kindred apparently isn't a simmons fan.

6. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

What gave it away?

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

From the Wojo interview:

Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.

God Yes.

I roll my eyes every time I hear the "talk about" question.

Then I fart. Right at the guy who asks it.

Loudly.

8. That was you!
    Cosmo, I think I have sat beside you at several post-game press conferences!

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Love Wojo, even love Cosmo a little. But I've talked about this on here before. I use talk about sometimes because, well, it gets people talking about. Then you can ask a good follow.
    I've done OK in the business, have a little clue of what I'm doing. A smidge, eh?
    Don't tell me how to do my interviews. I won't tell you how to do yours.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Pet peeve, there Moddy??

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yep.
    Someone started a "talk about" thread a while back and I basically jumped his ass.
    He don't wanna use it? Fine, his call.
    We all have different interviewing styles. I ain't no superstar but I've done well enough in the biz to venture a guess that my style works OK.
    And I use "talk about" because it does exactly that - gets 'em talking about that.

I find those who look down their nose at anybody's style of questioning offensive. Very much so.

So, yeah, SlapDoggyDogg, I guess that qualifies.

I mean, I ain't Wojo. But I does do OK.

12. PaseanaARG

PaseanaARG Guest

I don't use the "talk about" method of questioning myself, but I don't have a problem with it.

That is far less annoying than questions that are too damn long. Good lord. Y'all remember Ash? I use a digital recorder, and I counted one of his questions: 21 seconds.

Personally, I like asking really obvious questions. I get some great answers.

Examples:
    Ben, are you glad you don't have a concussion?
    How much does it suck losing your tight end for the season?
    Do you think you're fat?
    Is your coordinator crazy?

Draft saved Draft deleted