1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Media Exchange

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Killick, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Has anyone here signed on to this deal, yet? This is the first I'm hearing of it, wondering what others have heard...
  2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I think my market isn't big enough to get their attention, but I have heard of them, at least.
    Andy Kent is one of the people involved and he's a regular around these parts.
    Maybe he can chime in.
  3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

From trading e-mails with Andy Kent, all newspapers are eligible to participate in his story swapping site, regardless of size.
  4. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Member

I don't think Kent's venture is story swapping. He is charging a fee to set you up with a stringer.
  5. Inky_Wretch

The one talked about at APSE, the story exchange thing is open to all comers. Or, at least, that was my understanding.
  6. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

It's too bad that there isn't a place where those papers looking for freelancers/stringers and freelancers/stringers looking for work couldn't, you know, post messages about what they're all looking for.

7. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Well I guess it would look pretty funny if I didn't chime in by now after reading the last two posts.

First, let me clear something up from Inky's post. We are not a story swapping site. We're going to leave that to the content sharing agreements being put in place by some other newspapers.

What we are is a pay-for-content operation designed to give any newspaper, web site, sports league or sports organization an avenue to purchase customized content from highly qualified writers registered in our growing database.

For example, if a newspaper knows up front it is going to need stories from all eight road games the NFL team in its coverage area is playing because it is sending fewer writers on the road, the sports editor can purchase a package from us guaranteeing that coverage because we have writers in all 32 NFL cities. The paper pays Sports Media Exchange a flat rate for the season and we pay the individual writers as 1099 employees. This saves the paper the headache of tracking down writers in each city, sending out W-9s and freelance agreements to each writer and keeping track of invoices from each writer. At the same time, it saves the writers from having to chase down payment from a number of different papers and deal with a bunch of 1099s at tax time and allows the writer to worry only about the assignment. We put the writer in direct contact with the newspaper so both parties can discuss story length, deadline and story angle.

Over the last month we have held in-depth meetings with reputable sports editors from some of the biggest newspapers in the country either in person, by phone or by e-mail and applied their feedback to our working business model. We are capable of administering complex packages for the NFL, college football, baseball, basketball and all other pro and college sports while also being able to handle ad hoc assignments whenever they come up.

As of right now, we have delivered our first official assignment to a client with positive results and feedback and are on the verge of reaching agreements with other papers and entities. We view this as a win-win-win for everyone involved -- the growing number of out-of-work writers on the street due to massive layoffs and budget cuts can continue to do what they love and have been trained to do and get paid for it; the newspapers can continue to produce quality content from the road despite diminishing travel budgets and staff and we get to give something back to the profession we are passionate about while at the same time grow a business.

Hope this answers a lot of your questions and feel free to PM me or e-mail me at ankent@gmail.com with any questions.

8. Inky_Wretch

Yep, my bad. I typed the wrong name there when talking about the story swapping site.

9. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

One more quick note inthe interest of making things easier to follow for us at the Sports Media Exchange. We have an e-mail address for our company that all three of us monitor regularly: sportsmediaexchange@gmail.com. That is our preferred address for any questions or concerns, but I will be happy to answer any e-mails sent to my direct address.
  10. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

I think this is a strong idea ... especially because there is accountability all the way around ... the SEs want assurance that the writers being used are top rate (or hey, just plain able to make deadline) and they are ... the writers want to believe they won't have to wait for ever (or never) to get paid ... Win win, the way I see it ....
  11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Totally agree, Dan. The way they'll handle payments is a huge plus to both sides.
  12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

If I understand it correctly, this is a huge win-win for freelance types.
    The paper pays them upfront, as assignments get turned in and or published, they turn around and pay the writer.
    Eliminating the need for freelancers to chase SEs around the countryside wanting to get paid.
    Ends headaches on both sides.
Draft saved Draft deleted