1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Media Columnists?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sprtswrtr10, Oct 1, 2012.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Dusty Saunders does a weekly freelance column on Mondays for the Denver Post.

2. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Pete's very good. It's a side gig to his regular reporting.

Being in Albany, NY., means endless stuff coming through on the Yankees and Mets.

He had a good, related, front-page Sunday piece on the decline of local news anchors.

http://blog.timesunion.com/sportsmedia/

3. geddymurphy

geddymurphy Member

Yep. And Rovell and Deitsch.

I'm not a Rovell fan, but the three of them are still a bit more responsible than Deadspin, Awful Announcing, etc.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I'd rather get my news from Deadspin than Darren Rovell every single time. But Richard Sandomir does an OK job.

The Big Fozzie Bear might be the best at covering sports media.

5. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

In all seriousness, how many journalists would be willing to publicly critique other media outlets when the current economic climate creates the very real possibility that they will need to land a job with one of those media outlets at some point? ESPN is obviously the big example - any serious media critic will do a healthy dose of crapping on the network, but the network is one of the few destination companies left anymore. But also on a local level, it's tough to take a critical look at outlets who might be potential employers if your shop cuts staff. Besides, with all of the mergers and content-sharing agreements between companies in all mediums, there might not be much in the way of media to critique.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

ESPN tried to put Tommy Craggs on the payroll twice in the past year and a half.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

It wouldn't work unless he had a passion for it, but Tuscaloosa had a designer (Chris Olds) who did regular features on trading cards and sports memorabilia. A unique niche I haven't seen anywhere else.

8. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Rovell is much more about sports and business. Dietsch is probably the best out there right now.

Draft saved Draft deleted