1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports markets

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dude, May 27, 2009.

1. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

A question for all of you.

I'm doing a list of cities or markets which have won more than one sports championships, among the supposed four major championships within the same calendar year.

Would you put teams in Los Angeles or Anaheim (Lakers and Angels each won titles in 2002) on the list as being in the same market? Or would you make a complete distinction between the two?

Danke.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Same market, as evidenced by the name Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim... or whatevahthefuck

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Cleveland will not be on your list.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

So, is this the list?

2004 -- Boston (Red Sox, Patriots)
    2002 -- Los Angeles (Angels, Lakers)
    1988 -- Los Angeles (Dodgers, Lakers)
    1979 -- Pittsburgh (Pirates, Steelers)
    1956 -- New York (Yankees, Giants)
    1952 -- Detroit (Lions, Red Wings)
    1928 -- New York (Yankees, Rangers)
    1927 -- New York (Yankees, Giants)

There are several other finalists/champions (such as 49ers/Giants in '89, Lakers/Raiders in '84, 76ers/Phillies in '83, 76ers/Phillies in '80 or Browns/Indians in '54), but are there any other two-sport champions?

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Which is it? Cities or markets? There is a distinction.

6. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

The Patriots third title was actually won in the 2005 calendar year so I would omit that one from my list. It's a technicality I guess, but I'm trying to stay consistent.

This is the list I have so far (excluding 2002):

1988-Lakers/Dodgers
    1979-Steelers/Pirates
    1969-Jets/Mets
    1956-Yankees/Giants (NFL)
    1952-Detroit-Red Wings/Lions
    1938-New York-Yankees/Giants (NFL)
    1935-Detroit-Tigers/Lions
    1933-New York-Rangers/Giants (MLB)
    1928-New York-Rangers-Yankees

7. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

I guess my question is, if you were composing such a list, would you make the distinction.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

The Patriots' second title was won in the 2004 calendar year. You should include it.

I forgot Jets-Mets. Freudian slip [/baltimore native] :D

9. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

You're right. Thanks.

10. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

How are you handling Super Bowls? Because I'd imagine there are a few scenarios like the 1970 Orioles and Colts...both won titles from that season, but the Colts won the Super Bowl shortly into the next year.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

He seems to be handling it in "calendar years," Martin.

And good call on those three in the 1930s. First time I went through the list, I was rounding up a year for football championships won in January and missed them. Forgot their final games were played in December back then.

12. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

Another question. What about the Devils? They won the Cup in 2000, the same year as the Yankees won their last World Series.

I know, I know. Any self respecting Devils fan would blow his/her top being considered a New Yorker, but if the Giants and Jets play in New Jersey....

Draft saved Draft deleted