1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Sports Machine" runs out of gas

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Perry White, Nov 16, 2006.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Holy crap, you're right. That's hilarious.

I guess George is no longer praying for time?

2. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Good to hear that he decided to take the "Bullets" to save a few jobs.

I was tyke when it came on either tape delay or live feed at 11:30 Sunday nights at home. I thought that damn Sports Machine was real. That was the bomb back in the day.

guybehindtheguy, I saw some Glenn Brenner clips from YouTube. I didn't know who he was, but I'll tell you something, he was damn funny. I laughed my ass off when he busted Gordon Peterson's chops on the "nun" story. The folks in D.C., I'm sure, misses him dearly.

So, who is Jim Vance going to trade barbs with now?

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Yeah, I used to watch this crap pretty religiously during summertimes in the mid-'80s. We didn't have cable and it was the only chance to see non-local baseball highlights. George would talk to the machine sometimes, they had a groovy kind of love.

4. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Turn to a different channel, and you never would have met.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Didn't Phil Hartman (RIP) have an SNL skit parodying the Sports Machine. I seem to remember how it was called the Party Machine or something.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Would you care?

7. fanboy

fanboy Member

Close enough. This is one of my favorite sketches, the George Will Sports Machine

Throw the ball, George!

8. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

I'm resurrecting this thread because I just saw a bit on the NHL intermission, that tonight's going to be the last Sports Machine broadcast and I got a little nostalgic watching the piece, having watched George Michael and Glenn Brenner on D.C.'s nightly news.

9. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I saw that and wished they'd actually used the intermission time on a hockey story.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

does this mean we get Warner Wolf back?

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Hopefully not, Warner Wolf stunk.

But Glen Brenner (RIP) was great too. Though these days his Weinie of the Week might have become the Dumbass of the Day or something.

12. boots

boots New Member

George Michael should be applauded for taking a stand. If more people did the same thing, this industry would be a lot better.

Draft saved Draft deleted