1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Sports Machine" runs out of gas

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Perry White, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/16/AR2006111600669.html

George Michael will give up his role as WRC/Channel 4's daily sports anchor early next year, he announced today.
    "The George Michael Sports Machine" will go off the air in March after 23 years.

In what he calls a unique deal with the network, however, Michael will host the two panel shows and will continue his interviews with the Redskins head coach on Mondays.

2. fanboy

fanboy Member

It's rumored that he's running for President.

[​IMG]

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

George Michael never should have left WABC in New York.

http://www.reelradio.com/rjh/index.html#gmwabc1178

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

You gotta have faith.

And a 23-year-old studio.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Damnit!!! What will I watch in a hotel room with basic cable at 12:30 on Sunday nights now?

file under: If a show is cancelled and no one watches it, does it make a noise?

What is George doing with that awesome highlight-playing machine doohickey? You know, the one with the big red button?

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Having watched Michael for years he doesn't actually do interviews.
    Sample questions:
    "Coach Gibbs, you're better than sex, how do you do it?"
    "Isn't it true Coach that you're schemes are simply perfect."
    "Coach Gibbs, what indications did you have that your feet don't actually get wet when you walk on water?"

7. tommyp

tommyp Member

Hey shotglass, I remember him on WABC. He was on nights, from what I remember, spinnin' tunes like "Undercover Angel" and "Afternoon Delight."

8. tommyp

tommyp Member

How about this link:

http://www.musicradio77.com/avirtual.html

9. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Water spit on keyboard. Thanks, however, for the laugh.

10. Hey, George is an institution in DC. The only thing I don't like about how did his spots, and those on the sports machine, is the way they slooooo moooo every single play to the point where the piped in crowd noise is like 5 seconds ahead of the play.
    He'll always be No. 2 in my book behind former WUSA sports anchor Glen Brenner. The funniest 3 minutes of the day, back in the day.
    Do you think they'll sell the actual "Sports Machine" on eBay?

11. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Where am I going to get bull riding updates! ;D [​IMG]

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

The only way I knew this show was still on was my Tivo would occasionally record it for me. I have no explanations.

Draft saved Draft deleted