1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Loses Five at Deseret News

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I don't know that much about Salt Lake City, but it seems like it would be difficult for markets such as SLC, Sacramento and San Antonio to over do it with NBA coverage.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I don't you can overdo it in Salt Lake. Frankly, there isn't enough preps coverage and it's still a big deal there because so many people stay in the area for most of their lives.

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I did another recount of the staff directory. I saw about 20 actual full timers. Lots of part timers, scoreboard people, etc. But including the desk editors, there are only 20 full timers on the sports staff to the best of my knowledge.

If that's bloated, I guess it's a different definition of bloated than the one I'd come up with.

Sure, they could be more efficient or do things with less -- they'll learn how now -- but all papers could be more efficient in some ways. At least that's what Dean Singleton tells us every other month or so at one of his papers.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Drove past the Deseret News offices yesterday and shook my head. Man, the toll keeps climbing. Sad, but no longer coming as a surprise or shock.

(Which is why of all the job opportunities I've explored or will explore while visiting SLC, none involve newspapers.)

Best wishes to the good folks referenced in this thread.

5. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

they need a weber state writer?
    a whole person to cover weber state, c'mon.
    if there wasn't a weber state story for a few days, nobody would notice.

6. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Yes. The papers in Utah cover the local colleges. And both have Weber State writers.

That doesn't mean covering Weber State is the only thing that person does. But yes, each paper has a staff member assigned to cover the Wildcats.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The only local DI college to not have a full-time staff member covering it was Utah Valley, which was/is covered by stringers.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The SID would. That's how he gets his information.

9. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Not true. Weber State was handled by a part timer. A part timer who also had a handful of other 'beats' as well.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Eborn is a part-timer?

11. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Yep.

Draft saved Draft deleted