1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Journalists loses one of their own

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by #52 Psycho T, May 17, 2009.

1. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Terrible, terrible news. Thoughts to his family and friends.

2. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Exactly. Well said as usual, Buck.

RIP and Godspeed to another member of the sandbox. I hope his family knows about some of the friends he left behind here... I'm sure 52Psycho T can let them know.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Another hit in a glorious fucking year for the business and the world in general.

So sad. I swapped PMs with him when he got laid off. I'm sorry the cocksuckers running this business into the ground made his final months less happy than they should have been.

I'm also sorry to be the one to bring this up, and feel free to shout me down, but he was only 35 (which sends a shiver down my spine). Are we sure this was natural causes?

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Second that shiver, BYH.

RIP, editorhoo.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I didn't know editorhoo well enough to know if he had any physical problems. Remember, most of us didn't know about Tripp's challenges either until after his passing.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

You shouldn't be shouted down for bringing it up. If the guy was 35, it's definitely a valid question.

And you can third the chills down my spine. I've still got less than two months of being 35.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Damn shame, damn fine person... RIP...

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Think about those of us past that age. It makes me wonder as well.

Whatever the cause, RIP editorhoo.

9. #52 Psycho T

#52 Psycho T Member

Dave had actually just turned 36 two months ago. I was told it was natural causes and that were no signs of foul play or a suicide.

Dave had confided in me a few days ago about physical pain he had been having. Dave often had nose bleeds but wouldn't go to the doctor/hospital because he had no health insurance. He told me his roommates had called him downstairs about a week ago and shared their concerns with him about his health. I told him to take them up if they offered to help but he really didn't respond to it. I honestly don't believe Dave would committ suicide.

Dave didn't have easy sailing once he was fired from his job. His Dad developed cancer and had no health insurance.

We often played poker. For about an eight week span, we played poker 3-4 times a week at his house and play in a league together every Tuesday night. This Tuesday won't quite be the same without the 9th member of the group.

Boom70 - That's the first time I've read that ghost post. I am actually one of the three he was referring to about playing poker.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Not sure if editorhoo was the same person as hoo, who used to post frequently. But editorhoo seemed to be a sharp dude who didn't post nearly enough. R.I.P.

So that makes him, Tripp and Van McKenzie among SJ members that we know to have died. I wonder if there have been others. Being more than 10 years past 35, I get that chill, too.

11. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Damn. I enjoyed watching the trampolining elephant in his avatar. RIP, hoo.

Edit: Don't forget Poole.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Darn, I did forget. My bad.

Draft saved Draft deleted