1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports journalists are lazy

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by boundforboston, Sep 21, 2016.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He mentioned professors, which is a group that I would not imagine would be all that obedient about a policy that benefits the football team.

I guess my question is: What happens if you call and talk to a professor (or janitor) without clearing it? Do you get your credential revoked?

2. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

I've covered a few colleges when I was a higher ed reporter that had similar policies regarding contacting the campus PR office. Beat writers aren't generally going to talk to faculty unless the faculty senate is involved in some resolution regarding campus athletics or a professor has conducted research on sports. To answer your question, I guess a university could pull a credential, but I doubt it would be an issue. Now, a higher-ed reporter may be blacklisted from speaking with administrators if they don't go through proper channels, since they are going to be speaking with faculty on a more regular basis.

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Good column, Matt.

And it's definitely not just sports reporters eating at the trough ... on the news side, almost all the police coverage is via press release or, at best, quotes from the "public information officer."

Even at significant accidents or crime scenes, police department officials get upset if you try to talk to commanding officers on the scene (or they get mad at the officer for talking to the press). Just run the press release we sent you, dammit!

In the world of "get the story on Twitter fast," that's often enough. Or even worse, just quote the scanner traffic.

4. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Normally my balls tingle when I read a piece that spurs some good self reflection and evaluation. Sorry Matt, nothing personal, but my balls didn't tingle this time.

Matt Stephens likes this.
  5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If readers don't care about the obstacles in the way of getting the story, I don't see why they're going to care about self-flagellation either.

From a practical standpoint, I don't think it is very bright for schools on CSU's level and below to adopt the draconian media policies of a Top 10 powerhouse. Selling tickets requires much more work for them and the more publicity the better, especially when you figure they'll never be high than 6th in priority for Denver outlets.

6. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

I absolutely agree with Matt that there are ways to tell a good story even if you don't have access to a particular player, and that it is lazy if you use the lack of access as an excuse to avoid telling certain stories. Sure. But he talks about developing relationships, which is very hard to do if you don't have access, and some colleges will absolutely try to punish you if you talk to players without their consent. Additionally, many players are told specifically not to talk to reporters, and they often won't without the athletic department setting it up. So, while there are ways around it, it's tricky.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I understand that.

My question is about the other people at the university who have no affiliation with the football team. There was mention that it has to be cleared through the university's public-relations department. But most of the people have a phone extension and an office. What happens to you as a reporter if you track them down on your own?

8. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Sweeping generalizations.......there's a huge difference between flat out not being permitted to talk to a kid and expecting the story to be handed to you.

Most reporters fall somewhere in the middle. They're willing to do the leg work to get beyond the surface, but if you put up too many obstacles they're also apt to pack it in around the 4th or 5th one.

Lazy is not the word I would use to describe that.

Tweener likes this.
  9. Tweener

And by the way, the whole point behind restricting access is to prevent relationships between the players/coaches and the media, which is almost always how big, scandalous stories eventually come together.

10. Tweener

Indeed.

11. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

You might get a call from the director of university relations, and a friendly reminder to go through the PR office next time. Sports reporters have the most to lose by pissing off the administration. Access isn't critical for education reporters

12. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Just a thought: How many of these coaches will do nothing if their players are kneeling during the national anthem because of freedom of speech/expression, yet won't allow them to talk to the media?

Draft saved Draft deleted