1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports journalist - Waco Tribune-Herald

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by gatoreditor, Aug 14, 2009.

1. gatoreditor

gatoreditor New Member

Company: Waco Tribune-Herald
    Position:
    Sports journalist
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $25,000 to $30,000
    Ad Expires:
    September 18, 2009
    Job ID: 1086053

Description:
    Seeking all-around sports journalist for hybrid position as copy editor and reporter. Position will design and edit pages three days a week and contribute two days a week to high school sports coverage, and other events/stories that arise. Desk and reporting experience preferred, especially with InDesign system.

The Tribune-Herald was recently sold by Cox Newspapers to a new owner committed to local journalism and reinvesting in our product. We aggressively chronicle one of Texas' most exciting and unpredictable cities, located on I-35 between Dallas and Austin.

Please send cover letter, design and sports reporting clips, and resume to managing editor Becky Gregory at bgregory@wacotrib.com.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

When it was Cox, I thought this was a sleeping giant. Now that it's under new ownership, I have my doubts that its only a matter of time before the beancounters have an affect on the product.

3. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

Tough to take any job seriously that offers $25-30K for a position that requires previous experience. I understand that's the reality of the business, but that doesn't make it right.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

For Texas, that's still pretty good money.

5. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

By how it sounds, looks like they're looking for more of a desk man than reporter.

Still a good gig though.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

That's not good money anywhere for an experienced journalist. Unfortunately, that's what the market looks like right now.

7. llcharlie

llcharlie Member

"Unpredictable cities" was well put, considering the Branch Davidian fiasco and the Pat Dennehy murder took place at Baylor. What's next?

8. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i'm not sure i've ever seen waco described as "exciting"

9. esport12

esport12 Member

FWIW, the new owner certainly can't be worse than Cox. Or can it? Waco has always sort have been one of those papers you think would thrive, but, for whatever reason, doesn't. They've got a D-I school, Baylor, along with excellent high school sports. It never made sense to me when I was in Central Texas. For me, I was always surprised they didn't push their preps harder and give them bigger play. It always felt like there was one or two features during the week and then some game coverage. Much to be desired.

While the money is disheartening, it could be a good stop. Especially if you don't mind the desk work and the new owner is really committed. Living in Waco on 28K wouldn't be unreasonable and good clips to be had.

10. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

and a lot of good little baylor coed cuties to deflower

11. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Just think, in a few years, the Tribune-Herald and others will be advertising for a "Citizen Journalist: Build your dream of becoming someone whose words are read every day by (insert circulation figure here) people, and at little cost to us. We won't even request a resume. Just write something and e-mail it to us."

Draft saved Draft deleted