1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports journalist, Casper Star-Tribune

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by azom, Sep 1, 2007.

1. azom

azom Member

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=822898

Wyoming's leading newspaper is looking for a versatile, motivated sports journalist to complete a talented staff.
    Few newspapers our size offer the growth opportunities you'll find at the Casper Star-Tribune. Three of our hires in the past four years earned APSE writing awards their first year out of college and advanced to Division I beats. Some are still here, while others have moved on to cover bigger beats. We have former employees covering major colleges in Illinois, North Carolina and Michigan and pro teams in Denver, and others have moved up to managerial positions.
    Your beat in Wyoming will be a little bit of everything, including professional indoor football and minor league baseball. This reporter also regularly writes sidebars and features from University of Wyoming events. Casper is also host to the College National Finals Rodeo, and you'll pitch in with that week-long effort, as well.
    Our statewide circulation of 30,000-plus makes us the most prominent media voice in the Cowboy State. Our sports section has won 20 APSE awards since 1995, including including the ‘Baby Triple Crown’ for 2005 (three honorable mention recognitions in daily, Sunday and special section categories). We're looking for someone to help us build on that excellence.
    The job will include reporting and desk duties, depending on the time of year. Quark experience will set you apart from other candidates; full-time sports copy editors are also encouraged to apply.
    You'll need a bachelor's degree, excellent verbal skills, a willingness to continuously improve as a writer, page designer and online reporter, and strong attention to detail. Meanwhile, you'll live and play amid Wyoming's outdoor splendor. We're about a four-hour drive north of Denver.
    We offer an excellent benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, 401(k) retirement, employee stock purchase plan, paid holidays and vacation. We are an equal opportunity employer.
    Please reply online at http://www.casperstartribune.net or http://www.apply-to.com/job3092479 and include cover letter explaining why you're the right person for the job, along with your resume, reference list, work samples as well as salary expectations by September 15. If unable to upload samples online please send CD, provide website or mail articles to David Mayberry, Sports Editor, Casper Star-Tribune, P O Box 80, Casper WY 82602.

========

PM me for more details.

2. Casper is the home of the Casper Events Center, where they hold many state high school events (partly because of size, but mainly geography - it's a hike from Gillette to Cheyenne). It's referred to by Cowboy Staters as "the largest pizza hut on Earth."

That's all I got.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

all the rodeo you can eat, and more.

4. mannheimadler

mannheimadler Member

I have a friend who loves this town so much he named his dog after it.

5. This is at least the third time this job has been open in the last year. Who left this time?

6. azom

azom Member

After a stint of less than three months in Casper, one of our writers (Jon Gold) has been hired by the Las Vegas Review-Journal.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I know it seems like they've got high turnover in Casper, but they do an excellent job of preparing people for bigger and (sorry azom) better gigs. It has quite the rep as a great starter paper out West.

The turnover isn't because it's a terrible place to work.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

what was his beat?

9. JG2007

JG2007 New Member

Hi guys, I thought I'd chime in...

I'm Jon Gold.

I'm leaving the position for the R-J after a short time, but it is not a reflection of the Star-Tribune at all. Simply a move up.

I'd guess the beat I'm vacating is rodeo, which is easily the most fun I've ever had covering sports. For someone who'd like a break from the mundaneness of your typical sports coverage -- football, basketball, baseball -- rodeo offers fantastic human interest stories, fascinating angles and wonderful people. Plus a lot of BBQ.

This job offers three outstanding opportunities: Lots of responsibility, and fast; the ability to cover plenty of sports and learn the craft; the luxury of learning under a great SE and a damn good support staff. For my money, HS writer/editor/supervisor/head honcho Patrick Schmiedt is one of the best preps guys I've ever seen.

The SE, Dave Mayberry, is young enough to understand the daily grind of a sportswriter but experienced enough to not just be a figurehead. Most importantly, he's allowed me to take chances with my writing, explore and craft my style and just plain grow as a writer. Without his help, I wouldn't be heading to Vegas.

You'll be working with three other great guys on the staff, who'll make the transition to Casper a hell of a lot easier. Also, and this is absolutely huge, the support doesn't end there: former SE Ron Gullberg is now the Online Director and former sportswriter Peter Hockaday is now Online Editor. With their ridiculously hard work, the Web site has grown exponentially, with live coverage, quick updates and great features.

The benefits are great, the pay keeps you fed (and it takes a lot for me) and with a roof on your head, affording the opportunity to pay off both college loans and bar tabs. The area is stunning, and there are some damn cool towns in the surrounding area. I've covered a rodeo in a town of 250 and had more fun than in any other day on the job, I've eaten a buffalo burger in Buffalo, I've partied with some cool freakin cowboys in Cheyenne and the two-time defending all-around College National Finals Rodeo champion bought me a beer.

All told, it's a freaking amazing first or second job with great opportunity for advancement.

PM me for any details...

Thanks guys, take care

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

thanks for the post jon. you obviously are a solid individual and the vegas rag is lucky to have you.

good luck and thanks for clearing that up.

11. thebigd

thebigd Member

JG what are you going to be covering in Las Vegas?

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Glad to see someone posting a good experience with a gig.

Draft saved Draft deleted