1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports journalism workshop offered at my college

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by slatter, Apr 11, 2008.

1. slatter

slatter Member

Got this in an e-mail from my J-school. I'm a graduating senior and I haven't seen them offer this kind of thing a whole lot. Do you think it's worth my time, or will it be kind of generic and not all that interesting? I'm a little torn in that it's all day on a Saturday, but I signed up for it anyway.

Saturday, April 19 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Under the direction of Shirley Povich Professor George Solomon, with seminars by leading sports journalists and editorson topics including game coverage, beat reporting, sports news coverage, column writing, feature writing, editing, layout and page design, sports photography, sports on the internet, and blogging.

Participation is free and lunch is included. Please RSVP via email by Friday, April 11.

After signing up, I got this e-mail for more clarification:

Thanks for the RSVP. Dress code is casual. If you want to get an internship/job from one of the speakers, then you might want to wear a buttoned down shirt and slacks but I assume most kids will be wearing jeans or khaki shorts. Some of the speakers include Kevin Blackistone, Josh Barr (Wash Post), Bill Nack (SI), David Steele (Baltimore Sun), Julie Ward (USA Today). There will be about eight sessions to choose from during the four workshop time slots. We are still finalizing a few details but I will be sending out an email with more information soon.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

For free? With that lineup already?

Shit yeah, you'd better have signed up. Ask if I can come.

3. txscoop

txscoop Member

Sounds like a good opportunity to me. Get your ass there.

By the way..anyone know what Blackistone is doing these days? I used to love his stuff at the DMN.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'd highly recommend it.

Wish I could be there. Perhaps I could make a pitch for paid stringers while I'm there (I do, after all, have a paper based in the same county as that big J-school).

5. slatter

slatter Member

I guess I'm mostly curious what to expect from this. Has anybody gone through this kind of workshop before? Is it just going to be a series of lectures?

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

slatter,

if you sit there and do nothing but eat doughnuts, you'll at the least be meeting folks in the business who might want to hire a young buck someday.

capiche?

Plus those are some very good and experienced people.

7. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

What IJAG said.
    What she said.

Draft saved Draft deleted