1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Journalism Summit

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JLawson, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

I talked with her a few times last she year. IIRC, she is very helpful and nice.

2. Only $195? Nice price, no?

3. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

And you might get to see a ball game at arguably the worst ballpark in the majors.

All kidding aside, I was very glad to go the first year they had it. Good place to make contacts, too, in addition to making yourself a better journalist.

4. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

You don't have to go through the usual application process for this one. Just let them know you're coming and send Jennette the check.

I heard Dan Jenkins will also be there this year.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I don't know...there's a button for "apply here" on the site. I think you still have to fill everything out.

6. Jeremy Goodwin

That's how it was last year. I haven't checked out this year's app, but last year they just wanted basic contact and work info. They didn't need a resume, cover letter, recommendation letters or whatever else they want for other seminars.

7. JLawson

JLawson Member

I started to fill out my application but I got busy and just saved with the thought that I would come back to it later. I got an email from Jeanette today about all the information for the hotel and what not and she also said, "See you there." I didn't even finish filling out everything, but I think I'm good to go. Now it's time to get my school to pony up some money for me to go.

8. fl2010

fl2010 New Member

Your school pays? I'm envious.

9. buddyshow@aol.com

buddyshow@aol.com New Member

You are right about Sawatsky being back. Also Dan Jenkins, as well as Sally. We also have others stars, like Bill Plaschke of LATimes/Around The Horn; Pat Forde and Jemele Hill of ESPN; Dave Morgan, Exec Ed of Yahoo Sports; Jack McCallum, Sports Illustrated; Dave Kindred,sports columnist;Michelle Hiskey, Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Rob King, ESPN, website editor. We'll have a complete release in a day or so.
    I would advise you to go to poynter.or and sign up. We are holding down the number this year. There will be a more relaxed format this year that will include hang around time with the faculty and some one-on-one story critiques. And, yes, you need to fill out the paperwork. Hope to see you there. Buddy Martin, Co-Director, Sports Journalism Summit

10. buddyshow@aol.com

buddyshow@aol.com New Member

that's poynter.org. sorry.

11. Jeremy Goodwin

Thanks for the info, Buddy. You and everyone else on staff at the Sports Summit do a great job.

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Is the Summit open to all journalists or do you have to be on staff somewhere?

Draft saved Draft deleted