1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Journalism Summit

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JLawson, Jan 29, 2008.

1. JLawson

JLawson Member

I'm applying to go to the Poynter Sports Journalism Summit and I was curious of a few things. I'm not used to applying to go to a seminar so I was wondering how tough it is to even get selected to go? And what it is like? I've read about some of the topics and speakers at the previous summits and seems like a valuable experience.

2. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

I don't think anyone gets rejected for the Sports Journalism Summit, but I could be wrong. If anything they limit it to the first XX applicants who send in their money. Since this is a somewhat new seminar, I think they try to get as many people as possible and as long as your write the check, you get to go. Some other posters might know more about the application process than me.

I went to one of the previous ones. It was a great experience. My packet from last is at my office, but a typical day is something like this: Group session / intro to the day with everyone, 1-2 breakout / lecture sessions, lunch, then another full group session, another 1-2 breakout / lecture sessions then some full group session to end the day. Usually that was a town hall or panel discussion on a current hot issue in sports journalism. Last year there was one of the Duke Lacrosse and Don Imus scandals. Other morning / afternoon ending sessions were about blogging and covering race and sports.

One thing I dislike about the Summit was that each session was only offered once. It would have been nice if certain sessions were offered more than once. During most breakout sessions there were four or five topics to chose from and two or three would sound really interesting. There were a couple of times that I went to something that was cool, but then I talked with friends or coworkers after the session and they would be raving about theirs. It made me wish that I could have gone to both. Luckily I swapped notes with some people and others who were there posted notes on here. I also grabbed any extra handouts people had.

3. JD

JD Member

Where is it?

4. Jeremy Goodwin

at The Poynter Institute in St. Petersburgh, Fla.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

They didn't teach you how to spell St. Petersburg?

6. Jeremy Goodwin

Yeah, spelling was one of the sessions I wish I had gone to, but ended up going to a different one. I blame the time of night for the error.

7. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Went the first year. I enjoyed it and took a fair bit away from it. One point: They did offer a couple of courses more than once. I took in the Sawatsky interviewing session both days. Don't know what they did at the follow-up but if they didn't do that with Sawatsky and give everybody a chance (or a chance at a refresher course) it was a mistake.

YD&OHS, etc

8. Jeremy Goodwin

Sawatsky had a part I and part II last year. I heard great things about part I, so i made a point of going to part II. I think a lot of people did the same. Luckily most of the second part was reviewing the first. IIRC part I was deadly sins 1-6 and part II was review / Sin 7.

Here is the thread with notes on the lectures from Michelle Hiskey of the AJC.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/1131676/

9. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

The Sawatsky class(es) are worth every penny you put into this trip, and then some.

Poynter puts on a great experience. If you can go, do so!

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I'm applying. Allah willing, our ME-Sports will let me go.

11. Jeremy Goodwin

FYI: http://poynter.org/seminar/seminar.asp?id=4591&catid=

A few notes: Poynter usually has some hotel rooms at discounted prices, if not at a discounted price, they at least set up a block of rooms at a hotel for people attending the conference. The hotels and multiple restaurants and bars are within walking distance the campus, so you don't need to rent a car. Also, for those posters still in college, last year Poynter had a student rate.

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I actually e-mailed Jennette this morning to find out about the hotel thing. I'm trying to work up a budget for my boss to look at.

Draft saved Draft deleted