1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Journalism Summit IV at Poynter

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dave Kindred, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

(Plz forgive the self-reference here. Our genial hosts, Roy Peter Clark & Buddy Martin, made me do it. Should be fun again.)

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- This year’s Poynter’s Sports Journalism Summit IV will feature tips on how journalists can parlay their skills to multi-tasking or re-inventing themselves.

In this tumultuous time, according to Senior Scholar/Vice President Roy Peter Clark, the theme of the three-day conference at the Poytner Media Institute will be how to “Survive, Revive and Thrive.”

Headliners from around the sports journalism planet will conduct the workshops, panels and lunch-table discussions.

Also, author/columnist Dave Kindred will receive the second Poynter Distinguished Sports Journalist Award. Last year’s winner was Dan Jenkins.

For the third time, the winner of the McKenzie Cup will be announced. Last year’s winner was Dugan Arnett. The award is given to one of sports journalism’s brightest young talents” in the honor of the late Van McKenzie, innovative sports editor and one of the SJS founders.

There is still time to apply. News organizations and schools can inquire about group rates: jsmith@poynter.org. Applications can be found on the Poynter website: www.poynter.org.

Here is a tentative schedule:

Sports Journalism Summit IV
    April 22-24, 2009
    The Poynter Institute

Wednesday, April 22:

Noon: Greeting and registration

1:00 p.m.: “The art and craft of sports reporting and writing” – Roy Peter Clark

3:15 p.m. “The sports journalist and the sports blog: how to read it; how to write it.” -- Jason Fry (former columnist for interactive edition of the WSJ; creator of most popular blog for New York Mets fans)

4:30 p.m. Town meeting: “Your five-year plan, and when to toss it out: sports journalism and the lucrative art of professional re-invention” -- The entire team of visiting teachers and workshop leaders. – Led by Buddy Martin

6:30 p.m. Reception and social gathering.

Thursday, April 23

9:00 a.m.: “The power of the image: How to capture it, how to use it, how to render the world.” – Kenny Irby

10:30 a.m.: “Mastering old forms of sports journalism and creating brand new ones: What we’ve learned from developing ESPN.com.” -- Rob King, editor of ESPN.com.

12:00 noon: “Turning ideas into books and enterprise projects,” Jack McCallum, author and veteran writer for Sports Illustrated

1:30: Lunch and table talk

Investigative reporting table: Teri Thompson
    Working for Yahoo!: Dave Morgan, sports editor
    The conceptual scoop: John Capouya, author of biography of Gorgeous George
    So you want to be a sports editor: Garry Howard, Milwaukee’s finest sports editors
    Creating a university sports journalism institute: Tim Franklin, former editor, Baltimore Sun; professor at Indiana University

3:00 p.m.: “Reporting and writing the game story: how to use your eyes as well as your ears.” – Pat Forde, ESPN, and Kevin Kerrane, University of Delaware.

4:30 p.m.: “Doing television before it does you: tips from the re-inventors.” – Jemele Hill, ESPN, and Woody Paige, Denver Post.

Friday, April 14:

9:00 to 11:00

Session A: “Sports journalism across media platforms: from audio to video to multi-media.” A practicum with Ellyn Angelotti, Poynter Institute.

Session B. “Creating your own niche in sports journalism.” -- Tony Silvia, University of South Florida.

Session C. “Personal storytelling: your life in sports.” – Michelle Hiskey, veteran of the Atlanta Journal Constitution; now working on a memoir.

Summit participants will be invited to choose one of these, or move from session to session, or take some time for 20-minute coaching and counseling sessions with the faculty.

11:30: “Reporting and writing the sports column: A conversation with Sally Jenkins (Washington Post) and Dave Kindred (Golf Digest).”

Presentation of Lifetime Achievement award to Dave Kindred.
    Presentation of Van McKenzie Cup for an up-and-coming sports journalist.

2. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Wow, this event starts April 22 and continues April 14?

Couldn't help it, Dave. :p

Congratulations on the honor. It's well deserved!

3. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

Such a deal, come to the Summit, get 8 days younger!

4. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Is this where they give out Pulitzers?

5. Congratulations, Dave. Wish I was able to be down there again this year.

6. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I have to say, every time I click on Romenesko and see the mugshots of Poynter faculty and reminders of upcoming seminars, I wonder what media outlet or reporter has any money left to attend one of those things.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Doesn't Poynter pay to bring them in?

8. FreddiePatek

I can't help it. I'll find a way to be there. It's well worth the time. To anyone who looks at the list of seminars and is underwhelmed, I must say there's much more going on than what is listed.

Being able to exchange ideas with your peers and the Poynter folks is incredibly invaluable. It fires you up, gets you eager to return to the newsroom. Ideas will percolate for weeks following it. I've attended every year on my own dime and can directly credit at least two APSE awards to the Summit.

If you can, do. I can't recommend it enough. Sorry ... I'll stop slobbering now.

9. I'd like to go and learn how to be on teevee from Woody Paige.

10. FreddiePatek

Why? He doesn't know anything about that ;D

11. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

Jemelle Hill as a presenter ...

12. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

This was great when I went a couple years ago. Too bad there's no chance in hell that my paper would pay for me to go this year ...

Draft saved Draft deleted