1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Journalism Summit II Details

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dave Kindred, Feb 28, 2007.

1. For those that have attended this before, would you recommend staying at one of the hotels that Poynter has blocked rooms off at?

2. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

Last year, Poynter had us at the Heritage Holiday Inn. Place is old (built in 1920s), but I didn't have any problem with my room. Several good bars/nightspots within walking distance.

Just for kicks, I did look into going this year. Turns out the Heritage is asking about $40 a night more than last year.

3. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Eddie,
    The Sawatsky session can apply to anyone in the sports media biz and is, by itself, worth the $195 AND the hotel room

4. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Last year I stayed at an old family inn around the corner--five minute walk--that lacked a pool and anything trendy, but completely serviceable. Affordable option.

info@americasbestinnstpete.com

I'd go again but have a sked conflict. Sawatsky is the real value but a couple of other sessions intrigue as well.

YHS, etc

5. Apparently the Heritage Holiday Inn will soon be a private hotel. That's why when you go to holiday-inn.com it seems as if it doesn't exist. (Last week it was on there charging about $150/night.)

6. I'll be teaching profile writing again and reworking the material.

If you went last year, please let me know what you think worked or didn't.

If you think you'll be there and have questions re profile writing, please send those too.

Thanks
    Michelle Hiskey
    mhiskey@ajc.com

ps Any Michigan State writers coming? Y'all are the best storytellers.

7. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

For the record: Great rec. I've got a room booked there for *much* less than the Heritage was going to be.

Since it starts Wednesday, probably time to resurrect this thread...anyone else going to it this year?

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

No, but would have liked to go. It's tough for some to get away at this time of year.

Seems summer would be better, when students, professors, and those who cover college and prep sports can spare a few days. Hell, just about ayone can find the time in June other than MLB beat persons.

BUt it's probably hot as hell down there at that time . . . . . .

Anyway, have fun to those who are going.

9. WS

WS Member

See you guys there. For anyone arriving Tuesday, the D-Rays are in town against the Orioles. I can't imagine it will be too hard to find a pretty good seat.

10. Mitch21

Mitch21 Member

I like the discount for college students...what I dont like is the fact that April 18-20 is in the middle of the week and the final week of classes. No way can a college student(like myself) attend and still complete finals and what not.

11. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

You should bring that to the attention of Poynter's organizers. I'm sure they want it to be well-attended and successful. I think it's still a work in progress and I'm sure any advice to make it better would be welcomed.

See you there!

12. Unfortunately for me, that's nowhere near the end of classes here at the University of Delaware. I do agree with you about how it's in the middle of the week, which makes it difficult to get there.

Draft saved Draft deleted