1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Journalism Professor - University of Alabama

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Bradley Guire, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1566033

Company: University of Alabama/Journalism Department
    Position:
    Sports Journalism Instrutor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires:
    March 28, 2014
    Job ID: 1566033

Description:

The Department of Journalism at The University of Alabama is seeking an instructor for a position beginning fall 2014. This would be a three-year contract position with the possibility for renewal. The person we hire will be: * Strongly qualified to teach both skills and conceptual courses in the department’s sports news and information track, and to take on a leadership role in this track. * Ready to teach editing, reporting, and writing courses across the undergraduate curriculum. * Adept with emerging media forms and technologies, including social media, mobile media and multimedia. * Able to teach master’s-level classes in the department’s highly acclaimed Community Journalism program. * Eager to work with colleagues affiliated with the Alabama Program in Sports Communication, which promotes research and discussion about sports across the University. * Asked to pitch in as needed with department service functions, ranging from academic advising to leading sessions at Alabama Scholastic Press Association events. The minimum qualifications for the job include a master’s degree and substantial professional experience. Preferred qualifications include successful college teaching experience and a strong record of academic or professional publishing. The Department of Journalism is part of the College of Communication and Information Sciences, and its graduates include leaders in all fields of mass communication. The department offers its own master’s programs and takes part in a College-wide doctoral program. The University of Alabama is the state’s flagship public university and offers the full course of academic programs and social life to its nearly 35,000 students, with a well-known passion for collegiate athletics that makes it well suited for a sports-focused educator. Visit https://facultyjobs.ua.edu/postings/34841 to apply. Attach an application letter, C.V./ resume, samples of multimedia work, and the names, addresses, and phone numbers of three references. Professional samples that cannot be attached should be mailed to Dr. Chris Roberts, Search Chair, Department of Journalism, Box 870172, Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0172. Direct questions to Roberts 205-348-8619 or croberts@ua.edu . Review of applications begins immediately, and we will continue to accept applications until the position is filled. The University of Alabama is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer.

(Snarky comment warning)
    So, my alma mater now has a program track designed especially for your future $20,000 a year job covering preps/youth sports/community sports. Nice.

2. I happen to know a little about this, and they're holding firm on the master's degree minimum requirement, just FYI.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I'd like to meet the person who can tick off all of those boxes.

Whoever it is, that person ain't 26.

4. All they need to find is one. And I'm sure they'll have more than one that meet the requirements.

5. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

I hope whoever they hire knows what a hard return is

6. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

It was a typo. The perils of posting from a smartphone

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

And a masters and some form of academic publishing in addition to professional experience? That is a very particular set of skills.

8. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Two years ago I would have been all over this. It seems like it would be great fun. I do wonder how much they are planning on paying for this position, however. To get someone with the qualifications they are seeking to move to Tuscaloosa for a 3-year contract the salary would have to be pretty strong. Looks like you would have no shot at tenure.

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I know of at least 2 who post here.

10. chrisrob01

chrisrob01 New Member

I'm Chris Roberts, a long-ago sportswriter (I've seen Bear Bryant in his boxers) who is heading the search committee for this job.

https://facultyjobs.ua.edu/postings/34841

Thanks to Bradley for posting the job; I was awaiting admin's approval to join the site and post it when Bradley beat me to it.

To answer a few points from this thread, and to push further:
    * While we know it limits the pool, we are firm about the master's requirement. We'll need the hire to work with our master's students.
    * It's "strong record of academic or professional publishing," not both as suggested in one post.
    * The University of Alabama pays instructors more than the $30,000s average that was mentioned.
    * A three-year, renewable contract is standard for instructors and similar non-tenure-track teaching positions.

Feel free to drop me a line if you have questions. -- croberts@ua.edu.

Dr. Chris Roberts | Assistant professor | Journalism Department | The University of Alabama

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Crazy to think people actually had to finish grad school for a position at a university.

Draft saved Draft deleted