1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Journalism Book

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by randomhero423, Jan 5, 2009.

1. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I have a copy and it's NOT for sale. Not sure how much you'll learn about writing from it, but you will definitely be entertained in the one or two sleepless nights it takes to read it. Best book about our profession I've ever read. In fact, I may just have to go back and read it again.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I got mine from abebooks.com

3. micke77

micke77 Member

dang, forgot about Pond Scum and Vultures. you're right. i need to go back and read that one. and, yes, probably best ever written on this profession. glad that book was mentioned.

for a throwback book that is so far from today's way of doing business, there's Jerome Holtzman's No Cheering in the Press Box. kinda neat to read about what some of this ink-stained wretches did back in their day, how they would mingle with the players as if they were next-door neighbors. imagine doing that with Barry Bonds or Roger Clemens. ha.

4. Well, I doubt they were doing that with Ted Williams or Joe DiMaggio, either. Beat writers get to know players they cover plenty well today. There are standoffish guys in the clubhouse and friendly guys in the clubhouse, just like in any other line of work.

For the most part, everyone in there is a professional and understands the line between work and bullshitting about movies, TV, skirts, raising kids and their golf game. It's not this all-hostile, all-the-time atmosphere you might think. Some teams perhaps. But not the ones I've been around.

Draft saved Draft deleted