1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Journalism Book

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by randomhero423, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Yeah, agreed. It did.

But I think it might give the guy/gal an idea of what the industry is like. Then again, that's not what he/she was after now, was it?

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

AP stylebook and start volunteering for the college paper as soon as you get there. Don't just stick with sports, but try news reporting.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

The constant moving to get a better gig, what some operations are like, going to assignments are just that -- assignments. He definitely nailed some great points. I just couldn't really get past "I did six stories on Monday and four more on Tuesday and seven on Wednesday because I wanted to go to the party. ..." Then his inch and word counts, too. (Did you ever wonder, "Is he capable of writing a concise piece?" or "What editor wants that much copy?" Because I certainly did.)

I don't know. I wouldn't buy another one of his books -- at least not of this style. Like I said: It was good, and I'm glad I read it. But I don't think, even three years ago, this one I would have needed to read it.

He's a very thorough reporter and not afraid of doing the work. That's a definite.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Pond Scum And Vultures by Gene Wojciechowski.

Good luck finding a copy.

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Or, for a serious take, find out what college you want to go to, look up what sports-related classes they have and figure out the assigned texts for those courses.

6. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

I love that book... gets me all inspired and stuff...

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

What luck? Go to half.com. There are currently 12 listings for it in all conditions and price ranges. It's as low as 75 cents (plus postage) up to $108.98.

8. This one might be a little advanced for your taste, but if you want some inspiration, this will do it. The interviews are outstanding:

[​IMG]

Some other books on the craft that have been beneficial to me:

[​IMG]

http://www.depauw.edu/photos/PhotoDB_Repository/2008/2/James%20B%20Stewart%20Follow%
    20the%20Story.gif

And anything on computer-assisted reporting in this day and age.

Unfortunately, there's nothing out there that gives you the secret to developing sources deep inside an athletic department, or becoming your coach's go-to guy on stories. That you've just kind of got to figure out.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. hankschu

hankschu Member

If I were a teacher and had one book I could assign to anyone trying to learn to write anything, it would be "Elements of Style" by Strunk & White.

10. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Is that the FoxNews style book?

12. micke77

micke77 Member

the plugs given for Steve Wilstein's book and David Halberstam's books are right on.
    both are outstanding, particularly Wilstein's.
    and the other day I was at a Dollar Tree and happened to find a Roger Kahn book titled "In My Own Words."..haven't had a chance to read it yet, but appears as if it gives tips on our profession, etc..if it's half as good as "Boys of Summer", it's a must-read.

Draft saved Draft deleted