1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Journalism Book

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by randomhero423, Jan 5, 2009.

1. randomhero423

randomhero423 Member

I'm writing this post to ask what book would you recommend for me to read as a guide to news writing and sports journalism? I want this book to mainly focus on the structure of writing a story for print media, rather it be a game story, AP-style story, or an interview/story.

I'd also like this book to be used in colleges so when I go into college next year I have the potential of using it.

Thanks

2. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Tabloid From Hell by Michael Raffaelle.

Nuf.

Sed.

4. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Click here:

[​IMG]

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

From the product description:

Let me tell you, making 25k to cover high school sports in BFE, is most definitely glamorous and exciting!

Edit: To add, I've never read the book, so maybe it is helpful. I just thought that part was pretty hilarious.

6. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Heck, that's why *I* bought it ...

Turning serious, as someone who never took a journalism class, I thought it was a decent intro.

7. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

OK, I'll be nicer: http://www.booksamillion.com/product/9781589793026?id=4278194840920

Good book, and the guy came on here once to promote it.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Find out what college you want to go to and then when the time comes to take the class, buy the book that the professor is using. It worked for me in college.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    read good writing and your writing will be a good read

10. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Not a bad point, yab. Along the same lines:
    [​IMG]

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

It was good, and I enjoyed it. But it came across, at times, as "look what I did, everyone." I'm not sure it'd be the greatest book for those just starting out. Some of the stuff is outdated now.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Lets just say this. Anything by Halberstam. And buy a stylebook. I don't care if you want to write AP Style or not, you better learn it.

And oh yeah last thing, double major. Journalism is a dangerous mistress right now.

I know, I know what you're thinking, "I'm good enough."

But seriously, we're all good enough, and it's a rough field. Be prepared for everything.

Draft saved Draft deleted