1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Journalism and Radio Opportunity

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Dan Ballard, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Dan Ballard

Dan Ballard New Member

Buster Sports is seeking two writers that also have backgrounds in radio to cover Big Ten and Big 12 football and basketball. Starting pay is negotiable commensurate with talent, expected to be ~$40K yearly.

Applicants must be quality writers and devoted journalists capable of approaching his or her coverage from a variety of angles. Standard news coverage is acceptable, but we want someone who understands and shares our vision about how college sports should be covered. Expectations are that each writer will host a daily internet radio show and also write blog entries throughout the day. Buster Sports wants to be edgy and outspoken.

You also must be willing to relocate if necessary and to travel to best cover your beat. Optimally, applicants should be centrally located in the conference they cover.

Please send a resume and clips to Dan Ballard, CEO of Buster Sports- dballard@bustersports.com

2. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Pay? Where will the hire live?
    Few more details, and you might increase your applicant pool drastically.

3. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

Do you get to work for this guy?

[​IMG]

4. pantherprowl

pantherprowl Guest

I think he answers both of those in the post ...

5. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

The pay and living situation were both edited into the post after I asked.
    Thanks for the answer Dan.

6. pantherprowl

pantherprowl Guest

Ah. Fair enough.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Sounds cool.

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Good luck to those who live in Columbus, Indianapolis or Oklahoma City.

9. SirTypeAlot

SirTypeAlot Member

I talked to someone today who said they have received more than 100 resumes. That's interesting.

10. Go State

Go State Member

It is interesting. It sounds like a great opportunity, but there's no established Web site or any sort of reputation (that I know of, anyway). Has this site received credentials to cover these conferences? Granted, there must be some good money going into this if they're going to pay these people $40k, but isn't anyone else a bit skeptical about this?

11. for_the_hunt

for_the_hunt Member

Yeah --- the Web site isn't even functional yet. And if this site is STARTING the job search for a Big Ten and Big 12 writer two weeks before the season begins, they couldn't have thought too far ahead.

To me, that's got to send up a few red flags. Sounds like they've got a lot of money, but they don't have a clue ... so, I guess, they're a lot like most newspaper owners.

12. but they have a job opening, and that's what matters in this market.

Draft saved Draft deleted