1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Jobs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Riddick, Mar 22, 2007.

1. miroba71

miroba71 New Member

Good point, Clutch. Maybe this is fodder for a separate thread, but I hear all the time how PR firms love to hire people from newspapers. But on those rare occasions when I have applied for PR jobs, I don't even get a sniff.

I've been in daily newspapers for 12 1/2 years, all as either a Sports Writer, Sports Editor or Sports Copy Editor/Designer. I'm happy where I am right now and don't plan on leaving anytime soon. But I, too, worry about the future of the business. So in the future, I might look at a career change. My question to those who got into PR is how did you do it? If I ever wanted to make such a move, who would hire someone who's written and edited sports for more than a decade, and won a few writing awards?

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

thank you sir.

3. Editude

Editude Active Member

In this environment, having a lot of experience can be a big negative when employers at decent-sized places are looking for 1-3 years experience but will consider a strong internship. It's like the actress who doesn't list her first several roles because it's easy to do the math as to how old she is. I'm looking forward, in a way, to going back down the other side of the mountain to the smaller gig -- if I can beat out 23-year-olds when the time comes.

Draft saved Draft deleted