1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports internship, Trenton, N.J.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by NightHawk112005, Apr 19, 2009.

1. The Trentonian sports department is seeking a summer intern to get experience at a 40,000-circ daily. The internship is unpaid, but past interns have walked away with plenty of clips, covering everything from Little League and American Legion baseball up to professional baseball and NHRA racing and everything in between. Opportunities will include occasionally covering the Trenton Thunder, AA affiliate of the New York Yankees, and copy editing duties as well. Schedules are flexible, but includes plenty of nights and weekends. Send resume and three writing samples to assistant sports editor Ben Doody at bdoody@trentonian.com. Deadline to apply is May 1.

You can also PM me for info.

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Least surprising four words ever posted on SportsJournalists.com:

3. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

How has BYH not chimed in on this yet? This is hanging in his wheelhouse like a Trevor Hoffman changeup in a big game. ;D

4. Hopefully he doesn't show. I'd hate for this to turn into a war before someone it can help sees it.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I was going to say an internship at a place like this couldn't possibly help anybody, but it might persuade some youngster to pursue a profession that isn't on life support. So maybe it's not such a bad thing after all.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Bankruptcy will do that. :D

It's JRC. It can help nobody. It can, however, convince the not-yet-disillusioned to run far away.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Took the words right out of my mouth. I officially forgive you for not liking the "...you only cover us when..." meme! :D

There's nothing this job does except help the JRC's stock...price...oh right. Well I guess this helps nobody.

8. tmayforth

tmayforth Member

There are some good people who work at this shop. That's all I got.

9. Kurindal

Kurindal New Member

It sounds to me like they're loading up on interns for the summer to do a ton of work for them, because I know two other college students who are interning there this summer. I can't really say much more than that though, other than the fact that I worked with Ben Doody. He's a nice guy, fun to work with. I was on the same beat as him for about a year.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The problem is caused by the people those good people work for.

11. You're wrong. I did this last year and enjoyed the experience tremendously. There's no question it was a big help to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted