1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Information in a public school district

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NDub, May 20, 2009.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Much better juice to the story if the military guy is the focus. I shouldn't have to point that out.

The reporter was waiting for a comment from the school district for a rounded story, but she could have slapped an "unavailable for comment" in the story. Heck, I would have written UOC or something similar after not being contacted on Monday.

I don't think the fire marshal was talking, so if the school is not talking, she really did not have the three sources needed for a decent story.

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Most school systems in my state -- I'd be surprised if it's not all of them -- has a PR person. But rarely are those people involved with athletics; they simply don't have the manpower. They're more about promoting BOE business. And they don't work nights, with the exception of the board meetings.

3. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

Even if a school system decided to create a position like this, the person would only be as dependable as the coaches. If your area is full of sorry, no-account coaches, all that having an SID means is that those coaches have one more person bugging them to do something that they don't really feel like doing -- calling in stats, sending in rosters, returning reporters' phone calls -- whatever it is.

The school system where I am has partnered with a Web site that coaches and school ADs are supposed to use to enter their schedule/score/roster info. Some of them do it, some don't. It's hit or miss. Last year the county AD asked the football coaches to come to a media night during preseason. Out of more than 20 teams, six coaches showed up. You can't make 'em do what they don't feel like doing.

4. srnitz86

srnitz86 Guest

It's a great idea, but unfortunately schools aren't going to pay for it.

5. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

I think the best way something like this works is if a journalism teacher is allowed to offer it as a class (Sports Writing 101) and makes working stat crew at home games part of the deal for the students. This, of course, means the school has more than one journalism teacher.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Or that the journalism teacher isn't on the list of positions to be cut.

Seriously, sometimes you can find a student who can do a decent job. I did it when I was in high school, called in all the games and did season stats for our small school. Got paid a small amount from the newspaper. It's not rocket science. All it takes is a student who likes and understands sports and has decent math skills. Too much to ask?

7. 93Devil

So you want to do this in a school system?

And look at the following links...

http://news.google.com/news?pz=1&ned=us&hl=en&q=virginia+sol+third+grade&cf=all&scoring=n

You will be doing a lot of explaining what exactly is happening to people who do not know what is happening.

8. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

I was the SID for a school in Los Angeles and we had a team during football season that handled everything from schedules, transportation and 3 people doing stats. It worked out great for one season then the new principal pulled the plug.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

This is key.

If you have a position where somebody is "allowed" to be an SID of sorts for a school district, they're going to be beaten down by the time they actually get down to interacting with the newspapers. You think college sports information departments are only allowed to give you the "good" news? Oh, brother, wait 'til you see a high school sports information department.

Because, you know, Sally and Jimmy work just as hard on the chess team. And they have parents. Oh, do they have parents.

Hey, I love the idea. I just know it will never play out the way you picture it in your head. The word "shill" comes to mind -- whether you want to be or not.

10. 93Devil

Without a doubt, the PIO for a school district should help coaches get scores into the paper, be an ear when coaches are fucking around, provide a go-between for a writer and a parent, but writing copy a features would be out of their scope. Just too much to do.

It does seem crazy when you think about it though...

How many column inches are written about schools each day and how many of those are sports? Half? 3/4ths?

11. 93Devil

In this digital age, how hard would it be for a school district to keep a database of good sports photos?

Shit, students could take the pictures. Every blind squirrel...

Draft saved Draft deleted