1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Information Director: The Midwest Conference (MWC)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by The Cubby Bear, Jan 23, 2010.

1. I found this on the Cosida website. It's an eentry-level job that will call for very long hours, and you will probably be in an understaffed department. You will also depend on the SIDs from the 10 colleges in the conference, who will more than likely also be undermanned.

All that said - it is great for young kids who are looking to get their foot in the door in sports information. If you play your cards right with this gig, you'll be an ideal candidate for better jobs in a year or two.

http://cosida.com/jobs.aspx?jobid=2441

The Midwest Conference (MWC)
    Sports Information Director

Responsibilities: The Midwest Conference (MWC) is seeking a highly self-motivated individual to fill the entry-level position of Sports Information Director. The individual will handle all sports information duties for 20 sports among ten member institutions including updating the MWC website, compilation of cumulative statistics, issuing press releases, creating composite schedules and publishing the MWC newsletter. The candidate will also handle media relations and serve as the liaison to the NCAA for all matters regarding statistics. Additional responsibilities include oversight of the league-wide webcast program along with planning, promoting and attending championship events, and other duties as assigned by the Commissioner.

Start Date: A review of applications will begin immediately until the position is filled.

Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree required. Candidate must demonstrate strong interest in intercollegiate athletics and familiarity with the NCAA and Division III philosophy. Strong written and oral communication skills are vital.

Proficient in Stat Crew, Word, Excel, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe InDesign and PageMaker (or other publishing software) and some experience in web publishing preferred. The individual should have a valid driver’s license.

Women and ethnic minorities are strongly encouraged to apply.

To Apply: Please send a cover letter, resume and three references with phone numbers to:

Chris Graham
    Commissioner
    Midwest Conference
    300 Seward St.
    Ripon, WI 54971

Or email: grahamc@midwestconference.org
    No phone calls please.

The Midwest Conference is an NCAA Division III organization comprised of ten private, liberal arts institutions in Illinois, Iowa and Wisconsin. The Midwest Conference sponsors 20 championship sports, ten for men and ten for women and its office is located on the campus of Ripon College. The MWC website address is www.midwestconference.org.

2. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Any idea what a gig like this pays?

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

My guess (and it's just a guess) would be about $25,000 to $28,000.

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

A conference sports information director should not be an entry-level position, but perhaps it's just me. These guys bust their asses for the pay they get (well, most anyway). Yes, it is a Division III conference, but still...

5. Steve is right. They do work their butts off. The problem with the pay here is that most smaller conferences - especially D3 -have limited funds... cause if you think about it ... where are their revenue sources?

I doubt the pay is as high as listed. I'd guess low 20s, if that.

All the money horror stories aside, it needs to be said that none of us got into this business to get rich. This is an ideal way to get your foot in the door because it is at the least a paying gig. Most entry level stuff in sports information will be unpaid internships.

6. outdoors

outdoors Member

When I made the switch to Sports Info two years back, I looked at this job pretty hard before accepting another position. Cubby has the pay about right where it will be, at least that's about where it was when I looked into the spot. They have a few veteran SIDs in the conference, so that would help as far as getting good files and info from the teams. This is a good spot for anyone wanting to make the switch or just wanting to start out in Sports Info, as the Commisioner used to be the SID before getting promoted, so he would be a good source of info and help for sure. The person that is leaving this gig was only there about six months, as she was a recent college graduate that had worked some SID stuff as a student.

Draft saved Draft deleted