1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Information Director: Colgate University

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Mark2010, Jun 8, 2009.

1. OrangeGrad

OrangeGrad Member

For those who made the jump from newspapers to SID, what were the biggest problems you encountered?

I read the job description and it says to run the press box on game days. OK, so am I expected to know how the stats programs work for everything from football and basketball to volleyball and hockey? Or are we talking about making sure the other staff members are doing that, while assisting the media members with anything they might need?

I was hoping a few of the folks who have made the jump could share their experiences -- namely the biggest obstacles at first and how you overcame them. Thanks.

2. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Biggest obstacle for me was learning the stat programs and how to update the Web page. Other than that, it was a lot of what I already knew: writing, taking photos, interviewing, dealing with members of the media. I had a great time in my six years as an SID, and as someone mentioned before, the opportunity for free education makes working for a university very, very attractive.

3. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Hamilton in the autumn is heaven on earth.
    Hamilton in January is snowy, to say the least.
    Bob Cornell was always a great dude.

4. Hoop Time

Hoop Time Member

You are right. I have no idea. I have only covered the Patriot League since its inception as a basketball league. It's probably my anti-perspirant not working that explains no other media aside from folks from visiting team papers on press row for basketball. And the lack of any coverage of Colgate hoops on those paper's Web sites, that is probably just Google overlooking the links.

They get some football and hockey coverage. And maybe occasional briefs, of a lacrosse mention in Syracuse. But since the Adonal Foyle days, you could probably count on one hand the number of writers from Syracuse and Utica who have actually covered a hoops game in Hamilton.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

One of the more interesting days of my career took place at Colgate. Richmond is playing up there in a late season football game. It drives the length of the field on its first possession and then loses a fumble in the end zone. Snow starts light and then turns wicked heavy. Colgate goes down and scores and Richmond never stops it again. I can't recall the final but it was ugly. Cold, snowy, windy and ugly. After the game, the UR coach at the time - Dal Shealy - throws one of the great all-time tantrums. Yelling, screaming, turning over water coolers.
    On the way back to the Syracuse airport, we almost went off the road thanks to the snow and ice. I swear a guy I was riding with shit his pants.
    Great day.

Draft saved Draft deleted