1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Information Director: Colgate University

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Mark2010, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Colgate University
    Director of Athletic Communications

Oversee the development and operation of media and public relations for 25 NCAA Division I intercollegiate programs. Bachelor's degree and experience working in a college athletic communications office or comparable experience.

Complete details including information about Colgate, job description, qualifications and application instructions found at: https://careers.colgate.edu For assistance call 315-228-7411

Excellent family-friendly benefits are provided, including health and life insurance, generous vacation, and educational benefits for both employees and family members including domestic partners.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

This job has Ang-

Sorry.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Any of our SID members here have a ballpark idea on pay?

4. Hoop Time

Hoop Time Member

You would be replacing a great guy, Bob Cornell, who just retired. But frankly, I am not sure why Cornell even needs an SID since nobody covers them. I guess to supply the info to hometown papers and writers at away games.

I-AA Football and D-I ice hockey rule. Hoops has not been very good since the days of Adonal Foyle, so unless some profs go back to the Carribean and decide to be guardians for another tall athletic phenom, crowds in the high school style gym they play in should remain in the 300-400 fans range.

Great golf course there. The bunny slope has been closed for years. Any free school benefit would be great for family types, it's a very good school. Better like snow, though.

5. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Colgate, not Cornell.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Bob Cornell has been there a while and I'm sure he's caught a ton of grief over the years for being named Cornell and working at Colgate. Haven't seen or interacted with him in years but he was always terrific when I did oh so many moons ago.

My guess is the pay range is mid 40s.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Beers on me at the Old Stone Jug in downtown Hamilton.

8. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Nobody covers them? That's ridiculous. The Utica O-D does, I know the Syracuse Post-Standard does for their Madison County editions. Apparently you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I would, of course, defer to Mr. Harris on this, but it seems the nature of being an SID, certainly for a non-BCS type university, has changed dramatically.

Back when I was in that end of the business, your primary role was assisting the working media in coverage. That included writing and producing media guides, game notes, stats, etc.

It seems now the primary role deals with the internet, almost bypassing the traditional media, to deliver news, scores, stats, photos, whatever, directly to those who are interested. Sure, it's a lot of the same type of work, but the delivery point seems to have changed. More people are getting their information on Colgate basketball directly from the school's website than they are from the New York Times or ESPN.

10. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

I might've jumped on something like this at one time, but now, it almost seems like it would be a lateral move at best. Lousy hours, lousy pay -- basically what I deal with now; just in a different office.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, but university bennies are usually very good, as is job security.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Typically, yes, but NY is an "employment at will" state, which means if your president has a bug up his ass and wants to slash $50K for the fuck of it, he can do it and axe you and you have no recourse. That's a popular move at my alma mater.

Draft saved Draft deleted