1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Information Department

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Brookerton, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Brookerton

Brookerton Member

I was just curious as to what people thought about working for a Sports Information Department. Is the pay, hours, acutal work, etc. generally better/worse than working for a newspaper?
    It seems like it wouldn't be a bad gig, especially if you worked for a major D-I school, but I don't know much about the actual job, so that may not be the case.
    If there are any previous threads about this topic, please post.

2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

It's like being a beat reporter. Except you have 19 beats.

3. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

And you ARE working for the school, so unlike a reporter you can't tell it like it is. And some coaches treat SID's like their personal secretaries, and I couldn't deal with the ass-kissing involved in it.

4. Top guy would get paid decent, by newspaper standards, but staff positions will make you yearn for the big bucks prep writers pull down.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I've often thought it might be an interesting job, Brookerton. And I was rather close to applying for SID at my alma mater a year or two ago before I realized I couldn't really justify the pay cut.

At a D-II or D-III school, the pay, even for the main job, isn't all that great. And if you want to land at a D-I school, understand that there are a lot of kids who go through college training for just that position. That's your competition.

One thing you have to have, and a lot of people don't, is a full understanding of publications and desktop publishing. Producing media guides, game notes, etc., is very big, and you're going to have to handle a lot of things, even the little stuff like who produces the head shots and how you plan the page-by-page flow of a media guide.

6. Cadet

Cadet Guest

One of the most difficult things is that SIDs have the same hours as newspaper sports writers (game nights, then working furiously to publish gamer/stats/notes to the website and send to all media outlets), but at a lot of schools they're also expected to be there for the 8-to-5 like the university employees they are.

Sad thing is at most schools the SIDs only get paid about two-thirds of what the PR people in University Communications make. How that is justified I will never know.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

At some smaller schools, SIDs also serve as the equivalent of a traveling secretary -- book buses, sometimes drive a van, all in the sake of getting the team moved.

Unless you somehow managed to snare a couple good student assistants every year -- and the good student assistants who want to get into sports information will go to a bigger D-I school, in all likelihood -- your life as a small-school SID can be hell.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah, but when the shit hits the fan in the athletic department, who gets to handle the PR fallout? Not highly paid University Communications schmuck.

9. Canuck Pappy

Canuck Pappy Member

I had an interview for a SID job a couple of years ago and the AD said to expect to work 60-70 hours a week in the fall for football.

10. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

SID might also have to be the radio/internet voice of the team too. It's all about what is best for the college.

Draft saved Draft deleted