1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Information control freaks

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pencil Dick, Dec 1, 2009.

1. nate41

nate41 Member

I've heard a couple of big programs (i.e. Memphis basketball) have multiple SID's assigned to the team. I could be wrong though. At my school, each team had an SID and those who did the minor sports would help out with the big ones.

2. GRUDGE

GRUDGE Member

Not a chance and I have never known an SID who expected that. Once the season (Dance or Bowl) is over they are fair game.

3. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

You'd think after about a billion examples such as this one people would figure it out.

4. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

Foley is the control freak at UF. It's been like that at Florida since roughly 1996. They won the national title and then almost overnight became awful to deal with.

McClain is awful to deal with. He's known for stopping interviews and press conferences if he doesn't like the questions and even a couple times has been dressed down by the coach because he sticks his nose in too much.

UF also badmouths writers more than any school I've ever been around and I've covered the SEC for the better part of 20 years. Florida keeps files on all of the beat writers chronicling every mistake that's ever made and if someone writes something negative, at practice it's like "What does Robbie Andreu/David Jones/Jeremy Fowler know? He couldn't even get Tebow's stats right from 2007."

McClain also loves to badmouth the former UF beat writers who are now national college football guys. He rips Matty Hayes, Joe Schad and Andy Staples every chance he gets.

The beat writers there are either such homers that it doesn't bother them, or they hate it with a passion.

5. I know during Tennessee week, they were super paranoid about anyone even asking Florida players about Lane Kiffin.

6. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

Tennessee week several years ago, I think Florida was ranked No. 2 or No. 3 in the country and if they won, they would go to the SEC title game and if they won that game was going to go to the national title. Grossman was also a favorite to win the Heisman.

Several of us flew in to preview/cover the game.

UF made the holder, a backup linebacker and one other non-starter available. Nobody else.

Draft saved Draft deleted