1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Information control freaks

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pencil Dick, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Yep . . . that and a Longhorn loss would
    be just ducky.

2. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

True. The athletic programs are pretty horrendous.

3. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Question - if a senior plays his final game and his season is over, do you need to bother with the SIDs anymore?

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I remember McClain from the Final Four in 2000. He was just awful to deal with.

5. Babs

Babs Member

Hell no.

6. Karl Hungus

Karl Hungus Member

From the SID perspective, no. If you need help, you'll get it, though.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, I would use them if they can help, not as the gatekeeper.

8. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Forgive me for being naive, but did I read it correctly earlier on the thread that D-1 has SID's for eachsport? A football SID? WTF? How many D-1 schools have this type of setup?

Coming from a small college, the SID there did all of the sports for the athletic department, sent out the story to the dailies when they couldn't send someone to cover (if Iowa or ISU had a game), and covers the high-school in town.

9. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

I cover a Big 12 school, and I'm pretty sure all the schools in the conference have a unique SID for most sports. Some of them are interns, but the football, men's basketball, women's basketball, baseball, volleyball and soccer SIDs are full timers. There is some overlap, with, say, the soccer SID also being the volleyball SID, but you get the point.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

In most big-time programs, there will at least be seperate people handling football and basketball. The overlap of the seasons makes that a necessity.

Most of the "other" sports will fall to another person rather than having a swiming or track SID.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

From what I've heard, Meyer isn't the one dictating terms to the SID, then to the media. He doesn't know half the time that McClain has pulled some of the shit he's pulled. That said, Meyer doesn't mind McClain doing this kind of thing. It just never gets back to him. McClain assumes Meyer wants things done this way, and does them.

12. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

I had more than one coach who wanted me to be the bad guy to the media when I was an SID. One in particular would often tell me to not allow media acess to practice or something but then cave to the same media requests when a writer asked to his face. "Oh sure, whatever you want." As for not asking certain questions, I never would have said you can't ask a certain question, but I would have already told the athlete if there were a question he should not answer. During a particularly long NCAA investigation once, I was ordered by the AD not to announce that a certain basketball player was ineligible for three games unless a writer looked out on the court and asked why so-and-so was not playing. We were ripped by every media outlet, as I had told the coach, AD and president we would be, and when the next player was suspended in the investigation, the president of the university called me to his office and asked how it should be handled. We had a press conference that day, had the athlete there to read a prepared statement without taking questions, just so the TV stations could get it on camera, and it was covered and gone in less than 24 hours. Then the coach took as many questions as the writers could imagine. The only way to get rid of something is to address it, (Tiger?)

Draft saved Draft deleted