1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Information control freaks

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pencil Dick, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Just read this in a blog post tonight about Urban Meyer discussing his defensive player's suspension for DUI. Thoughts?

Only one Florida player was available for interviews after practice. Linebacker Ryan Stamper took a couple of questions from reporters, who were warned by the Florida media relations staff not to ask them directly about Dunlap.

When Miami Herald reporter Joseph Goodman asked Stamper if Dunlap's suspension was a "distraction," the media relations staff ended the interview and declined to allow any other players to be interviewed.

Just a few minutes earlier, Meyer had discussed just how distracting the suspension would be for his team.

I guess the fine folks from UF media relations prefer a Rick Stain type covering their Gators. Not a meanie. [crossthread]

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You know what's distracting? Not having your best fucking defensive player on the field. That could distract a lot of teams. The rest is a soap opera.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I doubt the sports information folks are the real culprits here. They're following orders.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Yes and no.

I think that sometimes we all give SID's too much of a pass because some of them are indeed control freaks who are self-important for all the wrong reasons.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Uh, the guy you're arguing with was a SID.

Chutzpah at its finest.

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

So what. What the fuck does that mean?

He was also a sports editor and a sports writer.

And I'll write it one more time -- some SIDs are insufferably self-important and it has nothing to do with who they are working for.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

But they get to wear clothes with a team logo on it all the time. They might even show up to work in sweatpants or workout pants.

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Most SIDs I've known live in mortal fear of high profile coaches, who can get most of them fired with a single phone call. If the coach didn't directly tell them what to do, they know from experience what he wants.

I've known very few who set policy. Most of them just enforce it.

9. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

In the case of UF, the tone is set from much higher up than the SIDs. I'm sure they were given very specific orders to do what they did.

10. spud

spud Member

I don't care if its Florida, covering the Gators would suck.

11. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Yes, the pros can be touchy enough on subjects such as this...drop it down to a college level and it gets even more difficult. Better off to use some contacts to get an outside the press tent quote from someone. On the other hand, some schools handle it well...take responsibility and move on. Imagine that.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I don't Steve understand what you are trying Snapp to say here

Draft saved Draft deleted