1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports in the Wall Street Journal?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PHINJ, Jan 17, 2008.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Touche, Joe.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Lots of places are looking for ways to grow and add advertisers.
    Those slick magazines you see stuffed in the occasional Sunday paper are going to be more frequent and thicker.
    If the WSJ thinks that a Chris Jones or a Warren St. John — to name a couple — writing regular columns will help them land a whale, then count on it.
    A few people are going to get a cherry of a job. Take your pick of any national sporting event with non-deadline coveage.
    Golf — hey Dave Kindred — could just about be covered on deadline as could any European sporting event. Big enterprise and think pieces. Long takeouts.
    Plus the money will be solid and you can pick to live almost anywhere in the world.
    Now let's wait and see what the moddy pipeline rolls out.

3. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Golf, NASCAR, NFL and College football -- perhaps even regional coverage -- could work. NBA, baseball and the NHL, probably not.

4. The Commish

The Commish Guest

I don't know, 1990-91 seemed a lifetime or two ago when it comes to newspapering. At least that's what everyone is telling David Simon.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I understand the WSJ prints nationally in a number of remote locations (I don't know if anyone in Dallas does it; I do know the DMN's plants print USAT, the Financial Times and IBD). If the WSJ can print at a later deadline at more regional places, maybe they can get at least the Central time zone finals in.

Barring that, they would do better limiting themselves to "business of sports" articles.

Draft saved Draft deleted