1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports in the Wall Street Journal?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PHINJ, Jan 17, 2008.

1. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

SPORTS! SPORTS! SPORTS! OI! OI! OI!

http://www.observer.com/2008/murdoch-bury-leder-rethinks-journal-strategy

Last graf:

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

There's an old book that is a collection of sports stories from the Wall Street Journal. Good stuff.

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Absolutely a logistical nightmare.
    Murdoch opened his mouth without knowing plant-sharing and distribution contacts.
    Not to mention start times to games, apparently.

4. The Commish

The Commish Guest

He might want to talk to Stefan Fastis, who covers sports for the Journal. OK, not daily games, but it's not like there is nothing in there.

5. statrat

statrat Member

I think Murdoch is about 30 years behind the times. How many travelling businessmen check the paper for sports scores. I believe most of them use that fad called the interwebs or something like that.

6. accguy

accguy Member

I don't know that it is that far behind the times. While the WSJ does have some sports and sports biz stories (it has former NYDN reporter Darren Everson and former Denver Post Nuggets writer Adam Thompson), I think there could be something to adding a page or two of smart sports stories.

This is simply from my personal perspective: I enjoy much of the WSJ, especially the Marketplace section. I enjoy the NYT, but maybe not quite as much. If I'm going to buy a paper other than the one I work at (at the airport or gas station or whatever), it's almost always going to be one of those two.

If the WSJ had a couple of pages of sports a day, I would probably buy it 9 out of 10 times. Because they don't have as much sports as the NYT it's probably about 50-50.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Well, the kids I know try hard enough to get their games in the WSJ... and twice on Sunday!

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Ah, the glories of Left Coast boxes in Eastern editions . . .

Ask Frank.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Would not work. It barely works in the USAT. You'd have to go feature- and enterprise-heavy to try to even make it work.

10. Reid Laymance

Reid Laymance New Member

The National Sports Daily partnered with the Wall Street Journal for distribution back in the day and that didn't exactly result in score-friendly deadlines.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

What Reid said.

But what about an NFL Monday page? Every game but the Sunday nighter ends early enough, and I'd imagine there'd be money in it.

12. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

They run sports stuff pretty regularly in the Journal - maybe once or twice a week in the Personal Journal/Weekend Journal section. Not scores, but some smart, interesting analysis....there was one a while back on which college football teams produced the best pros.

Draft saved Draft deleted