1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports in Pittsburg, Kan.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Minutemaneditor, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Minutemaneditor

Minutemaneditor New Member

The (Pittsburg, Kan.) Morning Sun is accepting resumes for a full-time Sports Editor. We’re looking for someone who can dive into recreational, youth, high school and collegiate stories and isn’t afraid to ask questions. Online duties will be required. Coverage will include Pittsburg State University, a Division II university with a full complement of athletics as well as six area high schools and a myriad of youth and recreational sports. A bachelor’s degree in journalism or English, InDesign knowledge and AP Stylebook proficiency are preferred. Photoshop, as well as time on a desk or editing copy, are pluses. This is a great opportunity for someone who wants to make a difference at a daily paper. Pittsburg, a city of 20,000, is in the southeast corner of Kansas and offers an excellent quality of life. We offer competitive salary and benefits. Send resumes, five editing/design clips and three references to Matthew Clark, The Morning Sun, 701 N. Locust St., Pittsburg, KS 66762, or e-mail PDF files only to matthew.clark@morningsun,net.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

To answer a few questions off the bat:

1. I was the SE here for about 3 years before my promotion.

2. Yes, we have posted this position before, the previous SE was deployed to Afghanistan.

3. The pay is not that great, but negotiable.

4. Currently, there is no desk work attached to this job as we have a pagination person already in place.

5. Yes, it is a hard job and you will work hard. But, you do have a chance to make a name for yourself.

6. At present, I handle the coverage of Pittsburg State and I will turn that over after a prospect cuts their teeth.

7. You will have access to freelancers, but I do hope you can network and create your own base of freelancers to use.

8. E-mail me a question and I will answer it to the best of my ability as soon as I can.

Thanks.

Matt

2. billikens

billikens Member

Certainly can't add much more than what's above, as I've never lived or worked in Pittsburg but driven through plenty and been to a few Pitt St games. It's pretty typical small-town Kansas, although it's probably one of the better options for small-town Kansas.

A few positives:

- Braum's frozen yogurt is amazing.
    - There's no shortage of fantastic fried chicken joints.
    - The Pitt St. women's basketball coach was one of the best coaches I ever worked with.

3. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

It's ice cream ain't bad either. Nor are its burgers and fries.

4. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Braum's burgers are good. I always order a separate bowl of chili (best chili in any fast-food establishment) and a to-go box and make my own deluxe chili burger.

That said, the fries blow. Worst I've had.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Any idea on salary range?

6. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

If you're talking about Lane Lord, yes, the guy is great to work with. Kevin Muff is the new men's coach there, and an equally great guy. I once covered a game at Kevin's former school, and when I was in the locker room doing interviews, the cleaners were ready to take all my stuff - computer, notes, stats, newly-acquired winter coat - and put in the lost and found. Kevin intercepted their efforts and took care of all my items until I was through in the locker room.

7. billikens

billikens Member

I didn't realize Muff had taken the job there. Great, great guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted