1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Illustrated: The Book of Tebow

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by H.L. Mencken, Nov 25, 2013.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I'm glad other people have made the observation that Tebow is not very articulate, rambles, stutters and tries to verbalize one thought before the first one is finished. And this is the guy the SEC Network is courting?
    I'm sure they had good speech classes at Florida. Too bad he never took one.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'm not even sure what the last line means. That I said Christian people shouldn't own businesses?

When you over-institutionalize Christianity, you begin to commodify it, begin to create strata of faith, begin to burden it in ways that distort and unspool the essential message.
    Preachiness is not the only thing that separates writing "I'm not going to comment on Deadspin's criticism" from "What do you want people to say at your funeral?"

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I don't think so. His point on what do you want people to say at your funeral was that he thinks Deadspin peddles in negativity and scorn. It's no comment plus a deserved shot back at them. To me the only problem is that when you take the shot in response to their attack it's a bit less graceful.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Deadspin can be mean-spirited, and it can obsessively go after the same targets over and over again. But that Lake takedown, if anything, was overly erudite. It made substantive criticisms of the piece. Lake has gone on a personal crusade against Michael Jordan, showing he's far from above a public shaming. He's talented. Much more talented than I ever was. But he better be careful, because self-righteousness is going to become self-sabotage if he continues down this path.

Draft saved Draft deleted