1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Illustrated: The Book of Tebow

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by H.L. Mencken, Nov 25, 2013.

1. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

I believe Tebow has been a popular subject here.

Sports Illustrated just published a 14,000-word Tebow story by Thomas Lake.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/longform/tebow/index.html

It's a lot to read. But for those inclined: Thoughts?

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I am not inclined. Do even the worshippers still care at this point?

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I suppose the guy has a following greater than most backup QBs and Heisman winners.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Yeah ... guys who can actually play the pro game.

5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

This story was current two years ago.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Just plowed through it. Lake keeps making the same math mistake other are making: Tebow wins seven of eight starts ... then conveniently forgets he lost the next three, the Broncos back into the playoffs, and Tebow makes one freaking play to beat the Steelers, then get his fanny spanked by Brady.

He's. Not. A. Winner. Not for the shield.

7. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

There's no forgetting. That's addressed in the story. And you're obviously being disingenuous if you think all he did was make one play against the Steelers. He threw for 316 yards. He threw for two TDs and ran for another.

All that said, the story takes an entirely too sympathetic tone when trying to summarize Tebow's abilities. Journalistically, it containes waaaaaaaay too much play-by-play for games that happened now more than two years ago.

It certainly doesn't paint Urban Meyer in a kind light.

I'm still not sure why it needed to be this long.

8. outofplace

He had a great game against the Steelers, not just one play. Unfortunately for Tebow and his worshippers, he only had a handful of those as a passer.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, I was at that Pittsburgh game, and after the first quarter, he was pretty decent. But that entire season was the biggest smoke-and-mirrors performance ever.

10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I gave it a chance.
    Objectively, there just wasn't anything here that was new.
    Lot of rehash and going back over ground that had been covered.
    Not much flash in the writing, as compared to excess in visual presentation.

11. outofplace

Agreed. If I remember correctly, he had a good passing day against somebody with a crappy defense (Vikings?) that year and might have had one as a rookie, but otherwise, he was pretty awful.

That's why that Pittsburgh game was such a shock. I didn't have much confidence in Pittsburgh going in, but I figured it would be the Broncos' running game and defense that beat them. Then the Steelers lost three defensive starters by the end of the second quarter, with a fourth already out because Ryan Clark can't play at altitude, and it all went to shit for them.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You just made your third post on this thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted