1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Illustrated layoffs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by silvercharm, Oct 3, 2019.

1. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I never visited Sports Illustrated's website at all and I haven't read their magazine any since Rick Reilly left. This just ensures I won't start reading it now. The magazine and name have been dead for a decade just like Sport, Sporting News and all the others before it. Sports Illustrated simply had the name brand that allowed it to last the longest. I'm surprised at the comments and backlash posted here. If you didn't see this coming, you're just not paying much attention to the industry.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Sports Illustrated was not dead a decade ago.

From a June, 2010 masthead (not including the editing talent):

Senior Writers: Kelli Anderson, Chris Ballard, Michael Bamberger, George Dohrmann, Michael Farber, Damon Hack, Jon Heyman, Lee Jenkins, Peter King, Tim Layden, J. Austin Murphy, Dan Patrick, Joe Posnanski, S.L. Price, Selena Roberts, Alan Shipnuck, Gary Smith, Phil Taylor, Ian Thomsen, Jim Trotter, Gary Van Sickle, Tom Verducci, Grant Wahl, L. Jon Wertheim, Alexander Wolff

Senior Contributing Writer: Frank Deford

Staff Writers: Lars Anderson, Mark Beech, Brian Cazeneuve, Albert Chen, Seth Davis, David Epstein, Chris Mannix, Ben Reiter, Melissa Segura

Special Contributors: Walter Bingham, Robert H. Boyle, John Ed Bradley, Robert W. Creamer, Rob Fleder, John Garrity, Karl Taro Greenfeld, Richard Hoffer, Steven Hoffman, Heinz Kluetmeier, Neil Leifer, Jack McCallum, Pierre McGuire, Bill Scheft, John Schulian, E.M. Swift

3. Doc Holliday

Some great talent there for sure. But it was dead to me once Reilly walked.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Honestly, the new owners don't give a damn about the print or web product (like that's not obvious now). The value is in the SI name for swag and other purposes. Think the way Wide World of Sports has morphed from an iconic TV show to another Disney sideshow.

Think the last time I went to the website was for one of Moddy's reads of the day.

sgreenwell and maumann like this.
  5. Doc Holliday

I went to their website like 9 or 10 years ago. Haven't been back.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It is worth noting that of all the titles Meredith sold off after buying the lot from Time - only Money didn't find a buyer and folded. And only SI wasn't continued by the company that purchased it, but was licensed out as a print product.
    Don't know what it is about sports that makes it such an untenable print product compared to other titles.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Good Tebow. I didn't even write like this in high school.

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

This guy is being set ablaze on Twitter. And I can’t say I object or feel profoundly sorry for him.

HanSenSE likes this.
  9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

29 kinds of heartbreaking

10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Limousine liberal Bruce Arthur.
    I used to take part in tenderizing people like Bryan Driskell, but what's the point?
    Mock the people who hired this guy. He is what he is - a person who should be writing for The Daily Bugle and not SI.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Pretty low-lying fruit to Twitter-smack every new inexperienced, bad byline that’s going to be filling si.com from now on. Just a waste of time.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  12. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I wonder how many of us would, today, answer the phone and do a write up for Sports Illustrated. I wonder how many people of those piling on this Notre Dame guy on Twitter.

I’d guess plenty but maybe not.

Draft saved Draft deleted