1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Illustrated layoffs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by silvercharm, Oct 3, 2019.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Completely agree. With the semi regular exception of the Sunday NYT, I read nothing in print. And I subscribe to 3 newspapers (plus the NYT crossword) and 8 magazines. I read everything on my iPad.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Best case scenario is that there are still some decent writers at SI and the AAA staff just fills out the site with a lot of clickable stuff that never sees paper and is easy to ignore.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think that Time was always a very well managed magazine company. It cranked out a lot of money that management used to make a lot more money and brillantly invest in HBO and cable television companies. But after the merger with Warner stopped being a core business of the company. Then the internet came along and the magazines made a lot less money. So the publishing division became an after thought until it was spun off.

5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I say this as a compliment...that Laura Wagner is like a dog on a bone

matt_garth and PaperClip529 like this.
  6. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Looked at the web site, now run by Raven, this morning
    In a word — sparse

7. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Not to sound insensitive but....how did Sports Illustrated EVER let it come to this? Their business model has been so outdated for years that by the time they wised up it was already too late. You don’t do a deal like Maven whatever it’s called, unless you’re desperate and out of options. Families are at stake here and SI through its (in)actions said they don’t care. What a goddamn disgrace. And you wonder why there’s no loyalty in this industry anymore.

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

To be a tiny bit fair to Sports Illustrated, you can basically sub-in any other magazine name there and not change the rest of your paragraph. Which ones are still doing OK? The New Yorker, I guess, although I doubt they're flying as high as they used to. I definitely think there can be plenty of scorn thrown on magazine and newspaper executives, but 1) the number of national publications that truly seem to be sustainable right now can be counted on your fingers and 2) there has been plenty of desperate flailing around by executives and management at all of these companies, and there doesn't seem to be a magic "fix" that can apply to everything.

9. AD

AD Active Member

the new yorker, and this may have changed, legendarily has barely broken even. it's an ornament publication. the only one that seems have to figured out the print/web double -- and by that i mean, 'makes money' without a bezos-like benefactor -- is the atlantic. happy to hear otherwise.

sgreenwell likes this.
  10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I think the majority stake in the Atlantic is now owned by the Emerson Collective, which is owned by Laurene Jobs.

And while the New Yorker was traditionally a loss leader for Condé Nast, it's been much closer to breaking even under both Remnick and Tina Brown. That said, Condé lost $120 million in 2017; $60 million in 2018 - even after selling off some titles. Who knows how much it will lose this year.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

There is no way to know for sure if the New Yorker is profitable at this point, because Advance / Conde Nast / Newhouse doesn't say. I know Conde Nast lost about $120 million in 2017 or 2018, when they put that out there because they were starting sell off some things, but the New Yorker may have actually been an exception, not the reason. And the New Yorker was NOT something they were looking to sell.

There was a time, when print magazines were still making money ... but the New Yorker was losing quite a bit of money. Like during the Tina Brown years. Celebrity editors were still an OK thing, and she spent A LOT. Writers were paid really well, too. I imagine there were also a lot of lunches at the 21 Club, parties, and who knows what? From a business standpoint, the circulation was as steady as brushing your teeth. They had to do little to get a boat load of people resubscribing year after year, and ad revenue also seemed to be there. It was just run like making a profit wasn't really important.

It's a good bet that has changed. The circulation numbers are still really strong for a magazine, and the resubscriber rate is as good as you are going to find. I'd bet it is a profitable enterprise, but I don't know that for sure and they ain't saying.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
  12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

And to clarify my position a bit - The current owners of Sports Illustrated seem like, at best, completely clueless fucks, and at worst, assholes that are going to methodically and intentionally drain every bit of blood out of the company that they can. I've got no fucking clue how you "fix" the magazine industry (or heck, newspapers), but I know those fucks aren't going to do it.

Draft saved Draft deleted