1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Illustrated layoffs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by silvercharm, Oct 3, 2019.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Even with the few outstanding writers they still have, SI seems more like a collection of blogs and substacks than a media enterprise with a vision. Was thinking about the anticipation of WHO would be on the Super Bowl cover and the next week WHO would be on the Swimsuit cover.

The "digital will save us" crowd forgot about one thing - when you got a magazine - you had it in your hands and it was yours, it was a product, you could stash it away in a closet and rediscover it years later (not just the swimsuit editions) and marvel not just at the bulk of SI, or the writing - I even get a kick out of seeing the ads

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

This is a much larger discussion, probably for a different thread, but that sentiment is certainly not limited to just journalism and magazines. We're quickly heading toward a day when we won't own anything. Think of the ways it's already happening in the entertainment industry. You stream movies instead of buying DVDs. You buy video games through the Playstation or XBox store instead of buying a physical disc. We read books on Kindles instead of actual paper.
    One of the core tenets of the Great Reset is "You will own nothing and like it by 2030," and the foundation to condition us for that mindset is certainly being laid in a stunning number of ways.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Think about LPs and the great album covers, going through the record store bins, or "reorganizing" your collection. And I love books - actual books, turning the pages - I stare at a screen enough during my work.

Batman likes this.
  5. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

A big name included in the layoffs: Howard Beck.

6. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Somewhere in a closet I have a small box of about 30 Sports Illustrated magazines from the 1960s and '70s, all in good condition. They were clearing out old stuff in the file cabinets at one of my newroom stops, and I found that golden pile of SI history on a shelf next to all the discarded media guides and other shit like that.

I grabbed those SI magazines the minute I saw them, hid them away in a paper bag I found, hid the paper bag in my backpack, hid my backpack in my desk and took the back way out to my car when I left that night. What a haul!

Just the covers alone are ancient treasures. I gotta make time to read though all the mags themselves. Way past due ...

7. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

8. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Scumbag Ross Levinsohn lied? In this economy?

wicked likes this.
  9. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Tarheel316 likes this.
  10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

oh ffs

11. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Sports Illustrated is the perfect example of a zombie brand.

HanSenSE, sgreenwell and matt_garth like this.
  12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Fuck the owners who did this to SI with a rusty chainsaw.

SixToe and sgreenwell like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted